Monday

Better Than I Deserve

If you've ever caught Dave Ramsey online or on the radio, when people ask him how he's doing, his standard answer is, "Better than I deserve." I don't know if he really means it or if it has just become his 'schtick' now, but I think it's a great attitude to have in life. One that I could stand to adopt, I recently realized.

A few days ago someone important to me was unkind to me. I don't think I was the underlying problem, just received the backlash. I am certainly guilty of dragging fears and stresses around with me so that I can be sure to unload the full force of my life irritation on someone that I think will still love me when it's over. I guess that's what this was. But it still hurt my feelings.

So I told the Lord about it and, honestly, I wasn't ready to pray to be kind in return to this person. I told God about it and caught myself saying, "I deserve to be treated nicer than that!"

I think I heard some holy laughter.

Didn't His son deserve to be treated MUCH nicer than he was here on earth? Hasn't the Lord PROMISED me I would have trouble in this world?

Keep in mind, I wasn't being 'persecuted for my faith' -- I was being 'persecuted' (yes, I am using that term very, very broadly) just for being where I was. I just happened to receive the fall off of an irritating, fallen world we live in. And 'deserving to be treated better' -- that is SO the world talking!

No doubt, Beth reminded us in August, and scripture tells us all over -- we are co-heirs with the King of Kings! We have an inheritance! But to think "I deserve better" than the way I'm being treated. Well, I do, but I certainly can't righteously demand it.

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

Philippians 2:5-11

3 comments:

Roxanne said...

Better than I deserve is absolutely right. I love that. There is an elder where we go to church that says, "I'm great, but I'm gettin' better!" And he means it from his toes. . .

Lisa Laree said...

Yup. Me too. And I need to remember that when I get whiney.

Anonymous said...

Wow! There must have been some werid alignment of the stars in God's universe, as you and I are not the only ones who experienced such blows this week.

Thank you so much for taking the time to print out the scripture in your blog; it's something I can use BIG TIME right now; and now it's written out as a reminder over the days to come, as I encounter the offending creatures.