Monday

Marriage Monday

I really didn't intend to write about marriage quite so soon, but I went to a lovely wedding this weekend, and really appreciated something the minister performing the ceremony said.

Referring to an oft quoted scripture for weddings, Mark 10:7-9, he reminded us that God has joined that couple together. Just camp out and think on that for a moment. There may be times that you may think it was a mistake. There may be times you think YOU could have done better, and there are times you may KNOW s/he could have done better, but God joined the two of you together.

That wasn't his main point, though (to me). He said, "Therefore, if anyone is doing anything to threaten, or work against, this marriage, they are going against God."

Whoa.

Think on that for a moment. What if it's YOU that's doing something to work against your marriage -- like belittling your spouse, or constantly being dissatisfied with him/her, or being vocal to one and all about his/her shortcomings, or disrespecting him/ her to your children, or even longing for another that seems like a better pick.

Sometimes my marriage is fun and comforting, but sometimes my marriage is about learning a spiritual discipline by loving one of God's children.

May it never be me that is working against God in my marriage.

"Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God." Acts 5:38,39

6 comments:

David and Whitney Scott said...

Thanks for the recap. I kinda missed that (just a little busy). And thanks for coming down. It really meant so much to the family.

Anne said...

Good stuff.

Roxanne said...

Wonderful. . .

daddyOandHoney said...

Your posting reminded me of a book I'm reading along with a young married woman -- Sacred Marriage, by Gary Thomas. I am very challenged by the whole "this isn't about ME" teachings that God has set up in this very important relationship on earth, Marriage!

Anonymous said...

Truly enjoying your marriage posts.

Anonymous said...

Truly enjoying your marriage posts.