Wednesday

Livin' The Dream

Hello.

My name is Sarah.

I am a writer.

I'm writing a book.

That's hard for me to say all together. But I am throwing it out there, at the encouragement of a couple of wonderful, godly men.

This week I had the honor of having a lunch meeting (with about 20 other people -- all ACU students) with Michael Blanton, agent for Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith, and Steve Green, agent for Max Lucado and Phil Gulley. They both spoke a little about their respective industries, the paths they took to get where they currently are, then opened up the room to questions.

Let me say, above all, as they spoke, their faith was tangible and unmistakable. They know, through years of trying and succeeding, and plenty of years of trying and failing, that they and their business are wholly God's and He will fulfill His plans in their business.

I'll be honest -- I walked away from there initially discouraged. Mainly because what I heard (especially in response to my specific question) was what I've heard a million times before -- it's hard to break in, writers are a dime a dozen, yada, yada. But I also knew that I heard some golden wisdom from those two gentlemen.

One that was my favorite was from Michael Blanton: "God doesn't give us dreams to tease us. He will either fulfill that dream in us, or change the dream." Michael told the story of leaving ACU in 1973, determined that he was going to work just long enough to raise the capital to open a Christian ski resort in Colorado. When he was offered a job in Nashville, he initially refused since it was in the wrong direction from Colorado, and wasn't a job he really wanted. But Michael came to love what he was doing, how one thing led to another, and now, he says, his family is able to vacation in Colorado as much as he wants, but Michael is able to know that he has affected people's lives by his work.

They also talked a LOT about the fear of failure holding us back. Evidently Max Lucado has a book coming out the end of this year entitled, "Fearless". (Jana -- he totally stole your idea!) They mentioned that the fear of failure -- which is really just the fear of embarassment of not doing what you want/ hope to do -- keeps so many people from fulfilling their dreams.

My dream is to write a book. Maybe lots of books. And speak to groups. I LOVE to speak to groups. And I HATE telling you all of that. Because Satan whispers to me, "Writers are a dime a dozen. You'll never make it. Do you have any idea how many writers are out there? What do YOU have to say that makes a hill of beans of difference?"

And, truthfully, I can talk myself out of trying to do any of my dreams before I ever write the first word. But those men encouraged me to grab my dream, submit it to God, and work to make it happen. I was a LITTLE encouraged to hear that I am doing some things right: "You may want to think about starting a blog." (ya think?) "See if anybody shows up!" "Find out if people respond to your writing." "Sign up at Twitter." (check...)

So, I'm doing all I know to do. And it is all in His hands. And that's the absolute best place for my dreams to be.

"The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever— do not abandon the works of your hands." Psalm 138:8

10 comments:

Tammy M. said...

Great post Sarah. Glad you are putting your dreams out there. One of the things Beth said this weekend at the simulcast was that our stress is often (I think she said all, but don't want to overquote here) brought on by expectations that others have for us. If we quit trying to live up to others expectations and follow our hearts, where God is leading us, we would be alot happier. She was speaking to our expectations regarding the perfect spouse, and directly to the fact that her husband doesn't go to church regularly. When she quit letting others expectations about her marriage and her husband have authority over her she, her husband and their marriage were much happier.

Tammy M. said...

2nd part to that note above, follow where God leads and make no excuses for how quickly or how slowly you feel like your journey is regarding your writing. Take comfort in the fact that you are right where God wants you, you are living your destiny from God.

SuperMom said...

Sarah,

I applaude you...and I relate so much to what you say. Let me be the first to cheer you on.

With all the advice I hear about writing, the one thing that seems to be paramount to success is persistence. And that can be a tricky thing for me. I hear that voice, too, telling me I don't have talent and no one really wants to hear what I have to say. Some days I can tune it out. Some days it sits on top of me, screaming in my face.

I appreciate your honesty and vulnerablitly because I know how hard it is to tell people, "I want to write." I'm so proud of you and I am totally in your corner!

You go, girl!

Anne said...

Great post. In all of my changes and eliminating lately, that is something that has been hanging out in my mind...I need to be willing to put myself out there to make my dreams a reality. I know that the Lord has placed the hopes and dreams on my heart, I just need to figure out where to get started to follow them. It's hard to be vulnerable and speak them aloud to others...you just never know what reaction you will get...but I know that is part of the journey. The other challenge is seeing others living your dreams, and not feeling discouraged that it's already being done so I should move on and pick something else. Satan talking, I know, but I am just being honest here.

I am praying for you, and your writing/speaking dreams, and I am praying for me, and my singing/speaking dreams.

Barbara said...

I read a blog called "Real Life Preacher" written by a guy who preaches at a Baptist church in San Antonio -- and writes. His article today was about writing and you might enjoy it. I can't do the fancy way to get you there, but there's the address I copied and pasted.
http://reallivepreacher.com/node/1347

Susan said...

I'll buy your books! I'll give them to my friends! You'll be known far and wide!

I love what Michael Blanton said about your following your dream and God changing the dream if needed.

Soar, Sarah Lu!

Holly said...

I'll buy your book! I'll even read it. Good for you.

Lisa Laree said...

Wow, Sarah.

I could've written that post (except for the part about sitting in a room with 20 other folks listening to MWS and MB). The dreams -- the negative internal voice -- yeah, I know what you're talking about.

So here's a little encouragement for you. You know we've never met, I have no reason to stop by here. Except that I surfed in one day (I don't remember where I came from now...maybe the massive CWO list?) and what I found here -- your ability to draw me into your thinking and struggles and identify with you and the lessons you are learning -- brought me back again and again and now you're on my Bloglines list.

Because I like the way you write.

You go, girl. ;)

(P.S. - fiction or non-fiction? Just curious...)

AbbieCRAZY said...

You are going to be so BIG! Because God will be at the center of it.

I was really counting on getting a book for free but I guess I'll pay for one if you'll sign it.

Anonymous said...

You SHOULD write a book! God will bless it and guide you in the writing. And the whole dime a dozen thing, don't worry about it. Some of the best books are the ones in which people write because it is something they need or are called to do, not because they are looking to get published. So write. And write from the heart. Maybe God wants you to write it and the entire exercise is just for you. Or maybe He wants you to write it and it becomes a big hit. You never know. But if He gave you the dream, then run with it! There is a reason. And when you write it, you will discover the reason. Maybe the day you finish or maybe a few weeks, months, or even years later. But there IS a reason!