Saturday

Lord, Plant My Feet on Higher Ground

So the rain. It's raining. A LOT. This desert where I live is gorgeous and green and mild temperatured in August. Not bad. However, the rain just keeps on coming. Tropical storm Erin brought a wash yesterday and through some of today. Next week it will be Hurricane Dean.

Usually, at this time of year, if we are facing the prospect of getting some rain from a hurricane or tropical storm, we silently nod and act as if we are really upset for those poor folks on the coast who are washing away in the storm, yet on the inside we are leaping for joy at the possibility of actual moisture falling from the sky onto our parched and cracked earth. However, this year we're already a little soggy, and the 8 extra inches of rain we got last night is a bit much. At this point, "less is more" is a good mantra.

I have mentioned here, a time or two, that our house flooded shortly after we moved in. I don't think I have mentioned, however, how much we were blessed and carryed along by our surrounding community in that horrible time.

I have gotten 5 phone calls in the last hour: one was my wonderful city -- a recorded message -- telling me to prepare to evacuate. It wasn't an evacuation order, but a "heads up" that they might give one in a few hours. The other four were some of that wonderful community -- checking on us, seeing if we would need a place to sleep, or help filling sandbags. Okay, actually, one was my next-door neighbor, who I initially came to know while mopping out our homes from the flood. She was just telling me that she didn't want to go through this again. I agreed.

For now, we are dry. For always, God is faithful. I did just move back into my house from the jackhammer/ Elegante' Suites adventure. I'm fairly certain that a flood would cause State Farm to wash their hands of my family. I can't worry, though. I can prepare and what will happen will happen. And, already, I'm thankful for the lessons I've learned the first go-'round. I'll keep you posted!

6 comments:

Roxanne said...

Well, what WE learned from our last HURRICANE event was to go to the store before all you can find are a Pringles and canned collards.

When we discovered last night that the storm path was aimed a little less toward Florida and a little more towards Texas, we sat ourselves down, made a list, and off I went to Wal-Mart. I feel this getting out of hand so I'll blog it.

I am praying that you stay dry AND in our own home this time.

Terral said...

As I am writing this, I am looking out at my very dry orangey looking grass. We have 4 water hoses spread out across our yard. I pray that the storm won't be so bad, and you won't be forced to eat something disgusting.
Jana Geiger called me last week from Guam, and said they are now entering typhoon season. They can't evacuate either. She has already been through one typhoon, and they just stayed inside their little cinder block home. She said it is like a house that the Rubbles lived in. Barney Rubble that is. They have no Walmart or Target! I think Sam felt so bad about her and the kids being in Guam he bought her a bracelet after that.
I am going to pray some of that rain our way!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I thought about y'all yesterday (just didn't call 'cause I hated to be one of the worriers) and all of that red mud and water at your house 5 years ago. Has it really been 5 years? Anyway - should we have to sweep the sludge again, just call us!
M.C.

AbbieCRAZY said...

Funniest thing: When I came home on Saturday (about 3:30) my neighbors had their sprinklers running. Down the street. I politely knocked on his door and he didn't realize they were on.

Next Funniest thing: When we left for church Sunday morning (8:00) our sprinklers had been on and finished watering.

Thank you very much!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

[color=#78b749]Музыкальная группа [url=http://dejavu-group.ru/svadba.php]Deja Vu[/url] - это коллектив профессиональных вокалистов и музыкантов на праздник.
[url=http://dejavu-group.ru/about_us.php]Дежа вю[/url]- лидер в области музыкального сопровождения музыкальных мероприятий, свадеб, юбилеев.
В копилке музыкальной группы Дежа вю около 3 тыс. песен.
Живая музыка. Диско, хиты 70-80-90-х, джаз, ретро, шансон, современная музыка, европейские хиты, фоновая музыка, поп .
Музыканты Dejavu-group располагает мощной качественной аппаратурой, которая позволяет наполнить плотным и приятным уху звуком как компактное помещение (фуршет), так и огромное пространство (корпоратив до 1000 человек).

Андрей +7 910 483 8294, Игорь +7 916 623 4047 [/color]