Thursday

A Plan...

Seriously, you've gotta try this:

When kids are too old to ride around the store in the cart but too young to be elsewhere in your eternal summer days while you grocery shop, do this: Give each kid a $10 bill. They are free to spend up to $2 of it on candy, the rest is for snacks and/or breakfast items that they generally harass me about unmercifully and I never buy. They will be gone for about 7 minutes and return with their sugar-laden bags and, depending on the kid, anywhere from $5 to $.07 in change. Then, when they continue on your trip with you and MUST have something, you can reply, "Do you have any money left?" Well, then.

The only drawback is when one child runs into a former teacher and explains, "My mom paid me $10 to go away." I'm expecting that phone call from CPS any moment.

5 comments:

Roxanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Roxanne said...

I deleted above due to a typo. . .but what I SAID was. . .

Good one. I bet the teacher steals the idea from you.

I just had an extra "s" in there and it was bothering me.

Anonymous said...

I wish we had thought of that when you and your brother were kids.

Paula said...

Not long ago, while traveling, I wanted to stop at an outlet mall for a couple of hours, but no one else wanted to. (of course, we had already done lots of stuff that everyone else wanted to do!) Anyway, I gave Dad and the kids the digital camera and a list of things to look for and take a picture of. I told them not to get thrown out of any store, so be discreet! Their reward was ice cream and some cheap toy at the toy store. I don't know if it will work again, but it was fun and we have some pretty funny pictures, too!

Biddy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.