Tuesday

What Is Your Legacy?

I kind of had thoughts of "what we pass along to our children" last week -- I'll explain why shortly. Then, our sermon on Sunday was about legacy. We saw this video of a wonderful young man at our church:


Then I came home to read this article in our paper -- that tells of the most recent homicide in our town. A mid-30's woman was killed exactly how her own mother was: in front of her own home by domestic violence. That lady has a daughter and granddaughter already. What is their legacy? Do they have any hope?

Yesterday I visited with a young mom who mentioned that she isn't close to her mom, and hasn't ever been. From watching her with her own girls, I know she is intentional about changing that emotional legacy.

Before Sunday my thoughts were of financial legacy. Part of my staff development over the last year has included reading this book: A Framework for Understanding Poverty by Ruby Payne. She uses the phrase "generational poverty" to describe those whose habits and lifestyle will keep their family at poverty level through several generations. I visited with a gentleman last week that illustrated this clearly, while my work brings me in contact with people in the same situation. Later I would like to devote a post to that -- generational poverty and the habits that keep people there. I find it interesting and eye-opening, but I'm not sure I will ever "get" not wanting to change that legacy.

I'm sure specifically talking about financial legacy sounds shallow and materialistic of me, but I think as we ourselves prepare for our future and our children's future, we leave them a legacy of security and generosity. Or, I should say, we can. We could also leave them a legacy of greed and hoarding.

All of it -- spiritual, financial, and behavioral legacy has given me pause. We all KNOW that we are passing along a legacy to our children. Just sometimes I wonder if it's the one I WANT to leave.

My favorite quote through all of this is from Chris, the young man in the video. He said, "My family history doesn't define me. God defines me." If I can instill THAT in my children, we're good to go.

3 comments:

Terral said...

That is so true! Lately, I have talked to my friends about Richard and I starting a new legacy for our kids. His parents are christians, but it is so important for me to carry this on. I think the financial part is equally important especially raising 3 boys. I want my boys to be hard workers with ambition. I also want them to always have respect for others. Colton was in a junior golf league, and you wouldn't believe how some of these 7 and 8 yr. old boys talked to their dads. I would have politely taken them behind a pine tree, and ripped their ears off.

Anonymous said...

After having your kids in our home the last several days, I can say you and Troy are forming a legacy of two well-behaved, pleasant, obedient children who are helpful around the house and who obviously know the Lord.
Their visit has been too short, but if they were to stay a few more days we'd have to float a loan to feed them!

AbbieCRAZY said...

I love that my church isn't afraid to hold up people in our fellowship that my kids can look up to. I remember a time, not that long ago, when that never would have happened.