Tuesday

Another quote:

"I don't think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains. "

"It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart. "
--Anne Frank

I think of this quote from time to time. The last part of the last one: "In spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart." I generally think of it for the reason that I am thinking of it this morning. Someone disappointed me. My heart breaks for another heart that is breaking, and several lives that may never be the same again. I'm kicking myself for believing in Someone.

Then I think of these words. Childish wonder and optimism -- from a child who saw and experienced unspeakable horrors.

And then I think of these words:
"I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you
will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

So, in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.

6 comments:

David Scott said...

So true... If we don't keep thinking that way, who will?

David

Tammy M. said...

The saddest day for some is the beginning of a tomorrow that sprouts grace abundantly to make a land more fertile than it has ever been before, unfortunately the fertilizer really stinks. But before long a new flower will bloom with hope to shine another day and bring smiles where there was none before.

Lauren said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lauren said...

We are not basically good at heart. The heart is deceitful above all things (according to the prophet, Jeremiah). All of us are permanently marred by Adam's fall and that is what makes us inherently bad and not good.

If I were basically good at heart, I would never struggle as much as I do with my own imperfections. If I were basically good at heart, I wouldn't need a Savior. The reality of the gift of God's grace is that much more awesome and powerful because I don't deserve it (in fact none of us do) because we are NOT basically good at heart.

I understand wanting to belief in the common decency of our fellow man, but such a "Pollyanna" attitude is dangerous and trivializes our depraved situation.

Sarah said...

That's a great point, Lauren -- I definitely don't believe that _I_ am good at heart, since I spend so much time trying to put the sinful, fleshly nature to death.

Maybe I'm saying that I believe that most people struggle with the same thing -- putting sin behind them. I know very few -- okay, I know NO ONE that I believe to be fully evil and I don't believe that people are willing to let evil sit in their hearts unchecked. That's why it's a struggle.

And, of course, keep in mind that I'm quoting a 12 year old. But I don't think believing the best in people trivializes our depraved situation. There are plenty of opportunities for me to see the sinful and hurtful side of people. That's never trivial. But I think my alternative is to approach you knowing and believing that you will hurt me and disappoint me. I choose not to do that.

Anonymous said...

We must see each other the way God sees us. . .and the way God sees us is the way we see our own children.

We cannot ever understand the depth of God's love, but he calls us his children for a reason, then blesses us with our own in due season so that we can catch a glimpse of how we look through his eyes.

In our worst, most deplorable moments, he sees the baby face, the innocent eyes, the feeble but pure love of a child. And that is what he wants us to see in everyone.

R--