Sunday

Sweet Sunday

I know, I haven't really told you about our Thanksgiving. I stood in my kitchen all day Wednesday, most of Thursday, and Troy's dad, brother, and nephew all came in on Thursday morning. The meal was finished in about 45 minutes -- isn't that sad? :-) But I was thankful that we all were here and was happy to have family here.

Today was such a precious day to me. Mainly because it was a Sunday with nothing in it besides church and family time. I wish they all could be like that! This morning's worship service was GREAT. We breezed in just as we were starting and I was still standing there holding my purse, Bible, and a fistful of bulletins when we started singing one of my all-time favorites: "My Hope is Built on Nothing Less". I just had to stand there with all my gear in hand and sing my little heart out. I did get tickled when we got to "Dressed in His righteousness alone, faultless to stand before the throne." I was thinking that when I am dressed in His righteousness alone I will not have to worry about how tight my clothes are the Sunday after Thanksgiving -- and Hallelujah!

We also sang "In Christ Alone" -- and I made it through without falling apart laughing only by staring a hole in the pew in front of me. Still a gorgeous song!

Jack needed to sit with us. Crazy morning at his house, for whatever reason, and so his mom told him he got to choose where to sit in church. He chose with Riley Stirman -- or, Jack may say it a little more closely to "Wiley Sthtuhman". So there he sat between me and Riley, with his ever-precious bald chemo head. I literally had to hold my hands together to keep from rubbing on it. It just has the same amount of little fuzz as a tiny baby.

No question, my favorite part of the whole day was standing next to Jack as we all -- precious Jack included -- sang "God has smiled on me". Can you even keep from bawling at the thought of a bald-from-chemo 6 year old singing that? He has indeed smiled on all of us, Jack, and thank you for being a walking, talking, singing testimonial of that!

"God has smiled on me
He has set me free
God has smiled on me
He's been good to me!!!"

2 comments:

Tammy M. said...

Jack was so happy to sit with Riley. Rob was up in the sound booth yesterday, and each time he goes up he takes one of the kids with him. The boys love it. Sophie says there are too many boys up there and she does not like it. So the boys trade back and forth. Jack was very bummed that it was Derek's turn. Many tears were shed at home when I came up with the idea of letting Jack pick where we sat. There was no question, he wanted to sit with Riley. My family sits on the back row on most Sunday's because we sit with my grandparents and aunt and uncle and that is where they sit. I like to sit up closer like the 4th or 5th row if I had my choice. The Stirman family sits on the 2nd row with nobody in between them and Phil. That is CLOSE. I am generally listening intently in the back pew to the sermon, but yesterday I felt unusually pressured to be very focused on Phil's preaching. I was close enough that he would know if I wasn't paying attention. At one point he asked us to close our eyes and listen to a scripture being read, I followed his directions. I was sitting in the 2nd row, he would know if I wasn't. Somehow I missed when we were supposed to be opening our eyes. So for atleast 2 or 3 minutes I had my eyes closed. Then I realized he wasn't reading scripture anymore. I was trying to be on my best behavior, and in the first 5 minutes of his sermon it looked like I had already fallen asleep. Sorry Phil.
Sarah - remember in prayer group this morning when you said we try and teach our kids that the whole world does not revolve around them. I already know that (most of the time), but why do I feel like when I am sitting way up front that everybody is looking at me? I ofcourse know they are not but I feel very noticeable up there.

Anonymous said...

A few years ago a radio station was advertising the concept of radio as "theatre of the mind", and it's really quite a good image in that we conjure up all kinds of pictures as we listen. Well, that is also a mark of good writing, in that skillfully-written thoughts put us in the same vision as the author. I was THERE with you on the second row as I read your piece. I've never met Jack in person but I could SEE him next to you.
Thanks again for using your God-given talent in an inspiring way.
We, too, had a great Thanksgiving day while missing you guys.