Saturday

What a Week!

Glorious weather on our Saturday here. Kids are outside playing. Soon I would like to blog about my anniversary date-night that turned into Riley's pseudo-birthday party. We made some great lemonade out of lemons and Riley professed it to be the best birthday ever. Oh, and like all bloggers, I will have to write a tribute to my baby boy that is not a baby any longer. Favorite quote of the day: "I can carry both of these things of milk, Mom. (grunting with the strain of the 2 gallons of milk) I'm a MAN, now! I'm 8 years old!"

Look for my thoughts on James 4 on heartlight this week. That verse really struck me yesterday when I typed it out. God has spoken to me in powerful ways this week and I am praying to be on my knees and listening carefully. I find myself still haunted and convicted by my visits with kids on Tuesday. And I can't say enough of a "Thank you" to Kendra, Lois, Roxanne, and Pat, my blog-commentors-in-the-trenches as public school teachers. Thank you for reminding us that those kids are there. Thank you for being Jesus to them.

As I have pondered that, I find myself very impatient with how I generally am: too near sighted and caught up in my own community to have any idea those people even live within 5 miles of me. I think of how many times I have thought and/or heard: "Everyone I know in Abilene goes to church." Well, that just tells me now that my world is entirely too small. I pray for open eyes and direction that I may get out of my tiny little world and see God's people that are hurting and hopeless all around me.

Saw the following this week on Brandon Scott Thomas' blog. It fit with my week and stepped on my toes all at the same time:

Preston Shipp re-wrote the lyrics to Days of Elijah. It's tongue in cheek and a little sarcastic, but sometimes sarcasm is a good thing. It's a mirror in some ways. I thought this was great...

These are the Days of Indulgence
Of selfishness, apathy, and greed
And these are the days of indifference
Ignoring the millions in need

And though these are days of prosperity
We have more than we'll ever need
Still children in Africa and downtown are hungry
If we love Jesus, His sheep we must feed

Chorus:
Behold He comes
Homeless like before
Eating with addicts
Hanging out with whores
Give away your stuff
It's the year of Jubilee
If we die to ourselves
Salvation comes

These are the days of great comfort
And living in rich neighborhoods
We kneel to the idols placed before us
Like any American would

And though Jesus warned us of riches
We don't think He meant what he said
So rich people put fish on the backs of their cars
But He had no place to lay His head

(Repeat chorus)
I drove up in my Lexus (x 4)
There's no car like my Bimmer (x 4)
There's no watch like my Rolex (x 4)
I hope it tells time in heaven (x 4)

Love that! Love it! Everyone have a fabulous weekend getting your car repaired (sounds like there's a lot of that going around!) and playing outside!

Special thanks to Joe Hays (Baby Ira's dad) for showing us great parenting skills on his blog this week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

Loved catching up with your life since last Thursday. My Thursday was a bit of the same. . .hectic. . .but no broken down vehicle. And you know that I know how that feels. UGH!!!!

Yeah--I went camping with the ENTIRE Langley/Torres clan from Friday night until Sunday morning. The good news part about that is we now know for a fact that our tent is waterproof. :) It was nice to get home and de-smoke ourselves.

And today is the first day of the rest of our Thanksgiving vacation. Tony is smoking a chicken just for the fun of it, and we are all going to see CHicken Little in 3-D this afternoon. Victoria and Thad are enjoying PBS this morning. It looks to be a lovely day here in Houston.

Also looked for your article but I guess Monday is too early.

Love you, friend. Where are you spending Thursday?

R--

Anonymous said...

Just re-read my comments. . .there is a very smokey/chicken-ish theme running throughout. . ."you-can-take-a-girl-from-the-country. . ." you know. :)

R--