Friday

Interpreting

Please grab a child between the ages of 6 and 10. I need their help in communicating with my own children. Okay, I have figured out that the phrases "Go put this in your room", "Put this in your backpack", "Get this off of the counter", and "Put this where it belongs" all translate into "Please lay this down on the nearest flat surface, preferably the kitchen counter." Which words do I use that will translate into "Go put this in your room", "Put this in your backpack", "Get this off of the counter", and "Put this where it belongs"?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have started charging one dollar per piece of anything laying around that doesn't belong. I started small with dirty clothes, since, I have moved on to shoes, towels, backpacks and even potty flushing. All I have to say now is Mommy needs some money!!! Good luck melissa

Anonymous said...

Same here! Our catch-all seems to be the floor right beside the door to our garage. The pile grows and grows. We actually have started charging a quarter when we have to pick up clean clothes from the floor, etc., - frustrating!
M.C.

Anonymous said...

My wonderful seven year old daughter (who, by the way, makes her own bed every morning unsolicited--and Sarah can vouch for the fact that she DOES NOT get that from me) also struggles with this problem. She thinks "clean off the table" means to bring each item on it and hand it to mommy. ARGH!!!!!

It must be a developmental thing. . .had to laugh at potty flushing from Melissa, 'cause the same child who makes her bed hasn't flushed a potty on her own EVER. I try not to think about what she does at school. . .my child is one of those obnoxious people that leaves a full toilet. She's always afraid it will overflow. UGH.

R--