Saturday

Grocery Shopping

Because I am not willing to give up my daily workouts or my Saturday morning sleeping in with my new(ish) job, I have been forced to do my weekly grocery shopping on Saturday afternoons. It is SO ameteur hour at the grocery store. And why is it necessary for the entire family to be there? I'm thinking that if 3 adults and 5 children are gathered in, around, and under a basket, 7 people could go home and de-clutter the aisle where I'm just trying to buy some onion powder.

A few weeks ago I didn't think I could face it, so I clipped my MP3 player onto my waistband (thank you, Mike Stirman, for that most wonderful birthday gift!) and listened to my own happy little music while I shopped. Truly a God-send. I don't have to hear children screaming, nor parents making AWFUL threats to screaming children. Yes, that does make me one of those obnoxious people oblivious to their surroundings, probably standing in the middle of the aisle reading the nutritional information on new low-sugar instant oatmeal as you try to maneuver your cart around me -- but I am far kinder to my family on my return.

Today I was lost in my own little musical world and noticed what eclectic mix of things people buy at grocery stores now. While I've mentioned (SEVERAL times, I know) that I don't shop at Wal-Mart, my own H-E-B grocery store is as large as most regular Wal-Marts, and offer as many services and sundries. What caught my eye first was the lady with the quilt, adult diapers, and bottle of wine. Okay, maybe that's a bad example since with enough wine you really may need the adult diapers especially if you have that new quilt. Then there was the family with the dryer sheets, kitty litter box, and charcoal. I can't quite think of any scenario that would involve all 3 of those -- and I wouldn't even want to consider the smell!

All in all, it was a relatively painless shopping experience. I have started gathering a few things for my Thanksgiving dinner! I can't wait! Next weekend I'll probably start cooking and freezing.

5 comments:

Tammy M. said...

Sarah - I love to cook, and I love to prepare some dishes for Thanksgiving, but as we always collaborate with our closest 50 relatives for Thanksgiving it is always an assigned potluck, with each of us bring about 3 dishes. I can't even begin to imagine preparing all the side-dishes, turkey, rolls, gravy....and not to mention everybody's favorite dessert all by myself. You are smart to start early, good planning on your part.

Anonymous said...

Why do entire families have to come to the grocery store? the mall? the Wal-Mart? This has ALWAYS baffled me! I think Jim got married so he wouldn't have to go any of these places again! Oh, how I long to go alone and did on Saturday. I was too early to get all the give-aways but it was relativly painless.

I love HEB!! I used to make Mimi take me there when we would visit here from out-of-town. Everyone looks like they like you and they like working there! Contrast Wal-mart, enuff said.

Denise

Anonymous said...

Sarah, have you made FlyLady's (actually I think it's Leanne's) pumpkin cheesecake? I made it two years ago and it has been requested ever since. . .yummy, yummy, yummy. . .it has a gingersnap crust. I too have begun buying some things for Thanksgiving. . .cream of mushroom soup for the green bean casserole don't ya know. . .

I've already e-mailed you my thoughts no your wonderful MP3 player idea. Still an original thinker. . .what tunes did you choose?

R--

Tammy M. said...

Roxanne -
If your pumpkin cheesecake recipe is not a family secret, will you post it on Sarah's recipe blog?
Tammy

Anonymous said...

Tammy,

Not a family secret. . .I don't believe in those. :) I got it from Flylady and have e-mailed it to Sarah. . .if you've not read my whining, my school district has blocked all blogs. Some of the highschool kids were using them to threaten other students, so I'm barred. . .at least at school. My home computer is still on dial up, so it just chugs along.

I couldn't post it directly to the blog, but I know Sarah will.

Enjoy. It is YUMMY. Even my very particular mother-in-law and her even more particular brother raved about it.