Thursday

My Daughter is My Sister!

For a while now, as Ashley's friends have made the decision to give their lives to Christ and be baptized, she has mentioned it. We have talked about it as a family, and I have prayed about it frequently. Truly, her biggest obstacle, in her mind, is her 'crowd shyness'. She absolutely, positively, didn't want to be baptized in front of the church and she absolutely, positively, didn't want to be 'singled out' in front of church afterward even if she chose to be baptized in private. I continued to assure her neither of those were requirements for telling Jesus you were ready to be His girl, but she just wasn't sure...


Last week, while Ashley was safely tucked away at camp, and Troy and I were cuddled on the couch watching a movie, she sent me a text message, "I HAVE to get baptized in the next week! I can't explain it, but it's something I have to do." There were other words, that I treasured in my heart (and on my iphone! ;-), but with those words, she didn't HAVE to explain it. I knew. We really didn't talk about it much at all when she got home, but last night after we got home from church, we opened up the conversation about it. In short, she felt exactly the same: it must be done. She was ready to go in my bathtub!!
But we chose to break into let ourselves into the church, just the 4 of us. (Roxanne said, "There's nothing like a little breaking and entering with your parents before giving your life to Christ." Indeed). Her daddy said some beautiful words about her decision, what it meant to HER, as well as what it meant to all of us. I didn't cry too much. But I am so amazingly thankful. According to Acts 2:38, now my daughter has received the gift of the Holy Spirit. I believe that with that indwelling, no matter the choices she makes in her life or the roads she may walk, the Spirit will remind her again and again of the cleansing waters she experienced -- a joining of Christ in his death when He was the ultimate sacrifice. I'm walking on the clouds right now, watching the heavens rejoicing as they welcome my new sister!

P.S. youtube is still chugging trying to upload the video. If you would like to see it, email me sstirman [at] gmail [dot] com and I will send you the link to it (if it ever fully uploads!)

14 comments:

Unknown said...

YEAH, ASHLEY!! And I hear you, girl... We "broke in" on a Saturday with just my peeps when I also had that "I just HAVE to" prodding in my heart. I hear the angels rejoicing in Tennessee, too.

JudyMAR said...

Sarah, I love to read your articles on Heartlight. The one about your grandfather came on the day my husband, Keith's great Uncle Ordis went to heaven. He died on July 1st at 89 years old and would have turned 90 on July
3rd. The birthday celebration planned for that Saturday, July
5th was a celebration of his life. I sent a copy of your article to all of the Copeland family. Brent Alexander, who taught at OCS and coached boys basketball was also a great nephew. His daddy, Wallace Alexander of Gospel Light in Delight, AR preached the funeral. It was excellent. The Copeland family is such a neat family. Ordis was the 12th of 13 kids to pass away. Brent's grandmother, Joy Alexander, is the only living child. Just wanted to let you know you are thought of and prayed for by an OCS friend.
Love you,
Judy Roberts

Roxanne said...

As I said last night. . .much rejoicing in my heart today. I remember her first day at church--I remember weeping over her little head before I left to go back to Houston after seeing her for the first time. I am so sorry I don't know her better, but that doesn't make me love her any less. I'm so proud for all of you.

Paula said...

Such an awesome day! Your faces say it all!

Anonymous said...

I think it was the third day of her life here on earth before I could hold her without crying. And now this. Wow.

It's going to be a really special time to take communion with her this coming Sunday.

Terral said...

That is great Sarah! She will remember that day forever. Y'all will too.

Anonymous said...

Awesome news! Congratulations to all!

Susan said...

What a wonderful day! I'm so thankful!!

Kelly Sessions said...

YEAH!! So exciting. Well tell ashley it could have been worse...I got baptized at Camp in the river with all of the kids looking at me...and in middle school coming out of the water soaked was probably not the thing you wanted all the cute camp guys to see...but I DIDNT CARE...it was an amazing experience!! and I am so happy y'all got to share such a great family moment!!

Lindi said...

I remember the HIGH of being Baptized. I carried it for months. It was joyous beyond measure. You know some people renew their marriage vows. I would love to re-baptized every year. I know you all must be feeling it with her. Can I just stand next to you and get it by Osmosis. Praise be to God!

🌹❤️ said...

Do you hear the angelic feet and voices right above your house! They are celebrating!
Sarah, Troy & Riley what joy!

Anonymous said...

We rejoice with you and the angels in this great life-altering event!

Donna Ware said...

I am so excited that Ashley is now my sister too! I love the picture of you two together. Mom, daughter, and sisters! Just precious to all of us that know and love you, but especially precious to our Lord.

Rob said...

The happiest of days.

I know you will treasure this in your heart for a lifetime.

Blessings to you all.
Jana