Wednesday

Random Thoughts for Wednesday

Personal to readers in my neighborhood:
a) Roxanne and I are participating in a Bible study long distance. Every-other Tuesday night I leash up the dog, put my headphones on (which is also my phone) and walk the neighborhood while I talk to Roxanne on the phone. So, if you see me having some deep conversation with Duchess about functional gods and the desire to be holy as He is holy, I'm really talking to Roxanne. I've been meaning to say that for some time now -- please spread the word. I think people are starting to wonder.
b) To the kind soul that found our ever-so-stinky Duchess who took an unauthorized, unaccompanied tour of the neighborhood and returned her to our backyard while we were in a cool theater: Thank you so much. She's not much on aroma or obedience, but she's family.

Now, to bore everyone with my soul-baring true confessions:
You know, bless my soul, I don't think of myself as having very many natural gifts other than the desire to learn to do better in order to compensate for not having a natural gift. I'm not a cook, decorator, organizer, or bargain shopper by nature. Which makes me a little bit of a flop in the wife and mother department if not for my unrelenting determination to learn to do better (or learn who to hire to do such things!) And, truly, I am always willing to learn and thanks to the miracle that is youtube, I can learn all manner of things. So I have watched this video no fewer than 3 times, and I will NEVER be able to do this -- but I will try to the death!



While we're on the subject, in my constant, yet ever-so-sad, quest for improving this area of my life, I did see a tip to keep a set of folded sheets in the pillowcase of the set. Handy.

For a praise update!! Riley's foot is broken in the same exact way that it was (but it was 7 months ago, not 8 -- late November) but on the opposite side. It's not quite as bad and, for some reason, there is no pain at the site of the fracture, but on the opposite side. So, doc wanted to treat it like a sprain instead of a fracture! We are SO thankful! He's on crutches and in a brace/ splint for 4 weeks (for the brace -- the crutches are just as pain dictates). Which means we are headed to the pool tomorrow! YAY and "Thank you, Lord!!" On the way to the ER I remembered that the Dr.s parting words in January when he took off the cast were, "It all looks great. You're free to do whatever. I don't like trampolines much, though." Yeah, he was on a trampoline. He was at a church function at a local gymnastics center. I think we'll remember longer than 6 months to stay off of trampolines!

Saw Wall-e tonight with the kids. Very cute, and I really like the message about taking care of our earth AND our bodies.

Does anyone have any great plans for our country's 222nd birthday?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, you have really been making me feel like a slacker of a parent lately. First you admit via the web that you didn't previously know the etiology of the name "Kiroli". Now you have sent out over the ether the admission that you just discovered how to fold a fitted sheet the way I have done since probably before you were born. I will admit I don't quite give the last step the care this guy does cause I couldn't give less of a rip how the finished product LOOKS, but the part about tucking opposite corners into each other just has always seemed like the way to do it to me.

What other revelations about my lack of fatherly instruction shall I expect?

Terral said...

He is the best fitted sheet folder that ever folded a fitted sheet.

Roxanne said...

Mike, the reason that you know how to fold fitted sheets that way is the same reason I know how to fold fitted sheets that way--the tucking in of the corners--and it's because of Maxine. I know this, because I saw her do it one day when she was folding laundry on the kitchen counter over on Westminster and thought it was very, very clever. So she taught me how. Yet another way the Rileys and Watts and NOW Langleys are all interwoven in the great tapstry of life.

I can also fold a round or oval table cloth into a square--learned from Claudia Ferguson who is every BIT the image of Maxine--and made it to heaven very shortly after Maxine. They are having a high time teaching the angels how to fold.

AbbieCRAZY said...

Abbie stated that that is how she folds a sheet.

That would take TOO MUCH time - I'm amazed.

Oh yeah, for short people - our arms aren't that long. I am unable to keep it that taunt.