Sunday

Quote for the Day (or not)

I subscribe to heartlight's "Quote for the Day". They run the gamut from light and fun to deep and ultra-heavy. I save all of them in an email file to use in my writing on occasion. Except for the one today:

Those who are wholly God's are always happy. -- Francois Fenelon

This made me feel really crummy and begin to beat myself up since I am not always happy. So I was thinking that a)I must not be wholly God's and b)I must be a really lousy person.

Then it made me think about something Tim Hansel wrote in his book, "You Gotta Keep Dancin'". It said (I'm paraphrasing because many years ago I loaned out my copy and don't have one any more) that the word "happiness" is rooted in the word "happening" -- meaning that happiness depends on occurrences and circumstances, while joy comes from God's spirit.

Then I wondered if Francois (I'm sure a noble and wonderful person) had ever read Isaiah and Jeremiah. God Himself is not always happy. There is plenty in this world to grieve His Spirit, have you noticed? So, happy? No, not always. But, joy ... I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy, DOWN IN MY HEART!!!

Sorry, Francois, but I am unable to agree with this thought -- and, if you are always happy, I'm sure it is due to the fact that you are wholly God's and may you bless those around you!

(After some Google research, I have learned that Francois Fenelon lived 1651-1715 and had many titles that I don't understand other than 'theologian and writer'. I'm sure Francois IS, at this moment, wholly God's as well as always happy!)

3 comments:

Anne said...

Full of Joy...yes. Always happy...no way!

AbbieCRAZY said...

Always happy is alot of pressure on a gal....

Did God call us to be happy? I don't think so - there's just too much about suffering to be believe that.

Roxanne said...

"The time to be happy is now
And the place to be happy is here
And the way to be happy is to make someone happy and bring a little heaven down here.
So smile awhile,
And give your face a rest.
Lift your eyes to the one you love the best.
Then shake hands with those nearby and greet them with a smile."

Paul summed it up best. . .content (not happy) in all circumstances because he belonged to God.