Tuesday

First Day of School

So unbelievably stinkin' tired.

I would love to go into detail about my day -- but I already went into as much detail as my weary brain can for my teaching partner so that she will know what she's walking into. Also, there's evidently a ream of papers my own children brought home for me to fill out.

In short -- the day did not go quite as smoothly as it could have. Alas, I did not lose a child OR a parent, so, all in all, a success. Isn't it funny that the only 2 times it rained all day my class was outside for one reason or another? Why is dismissal such a zoo? I always stink at dismissal. Maybe it's because by 3:15 I want to simply fling open the door and shout, "Run, Forest, Run!!" I will make smoother dismissal a goal. It's good to have goals, right?

I started the day with a headache, and I think I've had it all day, but right now I'm too tired to know. My sweet neighbor offerred to drive the kids today (they are supposed to ride their bikes on my work days) because of the chance of rain. I was so thankful to have one less thing to worry about. And, sweetest of all, my precious Troy sent me some flowers. They got to me at a moment that I REALLY needed them -- and the thought of them still brings tears to my eyes.

I had forgotten what I loved about teaching (no, it's not payday -- for another 6 weeks!)

I love that they call manilla paper "vanilla" paper.

I love that new shoes can make you run fast as well as look great.

I love that they ask me, "Are you glad I'm in your class?"

...So much more!

6 comments:

Roxanne said...

I was telling some non-teaching person today that there are really only TWO things that need to be accomplished the first day of school.

1. Everyone needs to eat lunch

2. Everyone needs to go home

I am assuming that everyone ate lunch and everyone got home.

I declare your first day back a success.

I get kids tomorrow. . .

Anne said...

Praying for lots of good times for you this year! :)

Tammy M. said...

Thought about you today. So glad you received flowers from you sweet husband. I am sure you did a most excellent job, and because the kids are 7 years old, as long as you didn't have a meltdown for your mommy, tee tee in your pants, or throw up in front of everyone they will think you are an awesome teacher.

Donna said...

I love the way you approach things, Roxanne!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on surviving your first day! It DOES get easier as you get back in the groove! Hope you found some comfy shoes!
Gwen W.

joyfuljourney said...

I'm laughing at the vanilla paper! Today was the first day of school and there is something so sweet and innocent about it when they are 7! My son has a wonderful Christian woman for a teacher and we are thrilled. She and I worked together in VBS and I knew when I saw her crying during the closing that Friday that I wanted her to be my son's teacher! What a blessing!