Thursday

Education 101

Today started new teacher orientation. It was a wealth of valuable information. To sum up:

Working for AISD -- very good
Lining up a substitute -- very good
Sexual harassment -- very bad (key phrase is "unwanted" regarding sexual advances and overtones)
Homeless Children -- very bad (situation, not the children)
Technology -- very good, but Big Brother @ AISD is watching ... Don't be a moron!

Tomorrow's agenda --

Discipline -- very good
Teacher evaluation system -- not so much!

In "educational circles" I avoid going into details about my current employment set-up (being what is referred to as 50% -- what you and I know as part-time). Today was a great example of why. My name tag listed my campus. One lady from administration asked me what I would be doing there. I told her, then ventured into the "I'll be 50% sharing a classroom" conversation. She got a look on her face as if I had told her that I would be having the enamel removed from my teeth every time I came to work. Still with her "ewww" face on, she whispered, "I'm sure it will be okay."

Whatever, dude -- that's kind of how I feel about her job, but to each her own, right?

From where I sit:
50% teaching -- very good

2 comments:

Roxanne said...

Yeah. . .I got the same reaction when I did part-time. ANd I quote, "Oh part-time is never part-time." "Are you SURE you want to do this?" "You might as well go full-time and get paid for it."

What no one comprehended was I didn't care about all that. . .I wanted and needed a part-time job and that was that. It worked out great for me--my partner was easy going and nice to work with. She was the "new comer" so I still did most of the planning, but she helped me with what I needed which was her to be there half a day.

You'll do great!!!

Ignore "Ewww Woman."

Ginger said...

Are you positive it wasn't jealousy on her part? Or perhaps just the "ewww" reaction to cover up the fact that she didn't really get how it would work, but didn't want to let on? Teachers are such funny folk (and I can say that, being one at the core, if not in practice at the moment).

By the way, love how you summarize!