Thursday

Sarah's Theology

So we've established that I'm a linguistic snob. I'm not enough of a linguistic snob to know what the OPPOSITE of the word 'snob' is so that I can describe my version of Christianity. Moron? Village Idiot?

In my usual perusal of blogs, I have come to realize that the more "scholarly" blogs make my eyes glaze over. Use the words "post-modernism", "sectarian", "apostate", and especially "Stone-Campbell Dialogue" and I am scrolling through your blog so fast my mouse is throwing sparks. Give me a good muppet quiz anyday! (Incidentally, I found all of those things on the same blog, so this guy must be very balanced!)

Here are a few of my key philosophies about my personal Christianity:

"Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength." Nehemiah 8:10

"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." Mark 12:29-31

"This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us. " 1 John 4: 10-12

I don't need my dictionary for any of those words.

6 comments:

Melodee said...

I'm in complete agreement on this one! I wrote about boring blogger not long ago and I was thinking specifically about some of those theological *yawn* blogs.

AbbieCRAZY said...

"Sparks are flying" that's a good one! Yeah, I've quit reading too many of those, too. A little goes a long way.

Roxanne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Roxanne said...

I removed my previous post, because I'd made a typo. . .OH NO!!!!! Here's what I said, with the mistake corrected.

There is a distinct difference in being a liguistic snob and in just being a snob in general. . .

You know the value of a well placed, descriptive, aptly used word. You also know when to shut up.

That's why no one will ever complain about your blog--unless you're a male and think it's too girly.

:)

R--

SuperMom said...

Hey, girl, I know what you mean about the "eyes glazing over". I love my church family, but most of them have very scholarly sounding blogs and I have to get my dictionary to read them. Who the heck has time for that???!!!

Amen, sister.

Thanks for that last verse. I struggle lately with "What does it mean to love God? How do I love a God I can't see?". And I've been a Christian most of my life. That verse reminds me that by loving others I can love God. That I can do :-)

Jessica said...

I am glad I am not the only one. I cannot read those scholarly blogs...nor can I talk to scholarly people...unless I have to. My favorite blogs are the ones where people share their experiences and their lives sound a lot like mine.