Sunday

Praying

Some prayers and thoughts on prayer I have come across recently:

from St. Patrick:
May the strength of God pilot us,
May the power of God preserve us,
May the wisdom of God instruct us,
May the way of God direct us,
May the shield of God defend us,
May the host of God guard us against the snares of evil and the temptations of the world.
********************************************************
From one of the "Books of Hours":
God be in my head and in my understanding;
God be in my eyes and in my looking;
God be in my mouth and in my speaking;
God be in my heart and in my thinking;
God be in my ending and in my departing.
********************************************************
Do not pray for easy lives; pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers; pray for powers equal to your tasks. Then the doing of your work shall be no miracle,but you yourself shall be a miracle. Every day you shall wonderat yourself, at the richness of life which has come to you bythe grace of God. -- Phillips Brooks

4 comments:

Tammy M. said...

I loved that last quote, it is on my desktop.
As Jim Carrey says in Bruce Almighty, be the miracle. B-E-A-UTIFUL.

heartsjoy said...

Great prayers. I am with Tammy the last one was my favorite!

Diane Viere said...

Great prayers! I have printed them out...and praying them today!

Diane

janiners said...

ok, i guess I'm with everyone else, but that last quote really speaks strongly to me. i can very much relate to "wondering at myself" and wondering over all that God has done and just being in reverent astonishment over who He is and how He works in our lives. I'm definitely going to hold on to that last quote over the next nine months. thanks for the encouragement! :-)