Wednesday

For the Girls. . .

For those who have said my blog is "estrogen heavy" or "chick intensive" I say, "You ain't seen nothin' yet!"

These things are weighing on my mind today:

Where have all of my sundresses gone? When my kids were small I had quite a collection of sundresses that I LOVED -- we would leave the pool, I would shower off, throw on my sundress, and I would look like I was actually dressed!! AND they are much cooler than pants or shorts, I think. I must have gotten rid of all of them when I couldn't fit in them after gaining what Phil called "the Abilene 25" (did EVERYONE gain 25 pounds when you moved here?) I think I need some sundresses!

What do I do with my hair? I have somewhat long hair, and VERY thick hair. I like it that way, as evidenced by my commitment to spend 40 minutes to one hour per night for a week combing lice, their eggs, and their corpses out of my hair as opposed to cutting it off. Troy likes it this way, as well. I think. The only time he has ever mentioned a preference for my long hair was when it was short. He won't remember this, but, yes, it's true. Once the temperature hits 90*, though, I start seeking creative ways to put it up. For the pool, a ponytail is always okay, but for other things I would like to look like I didn't just come from the gym. About once a month I wander into the "hair accessories" aisle and think one of two things: 1) "What in the world do you do with THAT?" or 2) "They want 6 bucks for a rubber band?" Then I walk away.

I need a new swimsuit. Thing is -- I don't want to go shopping for one! Who does? But it's a necessary evil, so off I go to shop for something that costs more than any pair of shoes I have ever purchased and I'm not really crazy about how it looks on me so I need to buy something also to cover it with. Crazy, this need for swimwear. But it is an actual need. Not only do I spend 5 days/ week at the pool in the summer, I also teach swimming lessons, so it's a work expense! No, I can't teach your child/ nephew/ cousin/ neighbor this summer. I'm already booked! Maybe next summer! Book early!

Okay, that's all the "girl things" out of my system for a while. Maybe I will return to thinking actual thoughts one of these days.

16 comments:

stephc said...

I really like the wide headbands- but they are only good for keeping hair out of your eyes, not off of your neck. Other than that I usually can not make those gadgets work. I have really thick hair as well.

AbbieCRAZY said...

BUY THE SWIMSUIT!!! You don't like the one you have!!

Anonymous said...

Uh, yes, that's a roger on the chick intensive.

LiteratureLover said...

I have two votes for the hair:
1. Braids. I love them on everyone. They keep you cool and look polished.
2. Messy buns. Just pull your hair through the rubber band a few times like you do for a ponytail but the last time do not pull the hair all the way through. Pull enough through to make a bun with fun little flurries of hair surrounding it. Do one bun or two. (There is another way to do it with two rubber bands but I don't think I could explain it well enough without the help of pictures.)

And no, I don't think these styles make us look too much like a teenager. It's just fun, summer hair.

Jessica said...

You could buy one of those fake hair things that you just clip over a pony that makes you hair look fixed. The nurses that my friend works with all have one... they can look quite natural. I always have this struggle when i grow my hair out... put it up or leave it down and be hot... hmmm..

I went suit shopping yesterday... goody's and penny's had cute suits.

Tammy M. said...

I love the #2 option from literaturelover, messy buns. My favorite way to do hair in the summertime.

Roxanne said...

I have a name for messy buns. . .but I'm too lady like to name it here. . .no, seriously, I call it house hair. Now it's just LEGAL for me to wear house hair to work.

Alas, you and I are in the same dilema. . .need of swimwear. I went shopping for 3 hours for a swimsuit, to no avail. You might get to see me in my not quite happening swimsuit on Friday if we even get to GO to the pool. . .we are supposed to have rain in Houston until Saturday--not sure what's going on in the rest of the state.

I haven't worn a sundress since my arms began to resemble my grandmothers. . .but you always look cute in them.

R--

Sarah said...

Messy buns? I'm with Roxanne -- that's what I do with my hair to do house work, yard work, work out, and teach swimming lessons, b/c it keeps my ponytail from laying on my neck. Not sure it's "ready for prime time"!

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
That's what the "Swimsuit Finder" on Land's End website is great for. I have bought two suits that way (and they were both overstocks which equals financial peace ;-) and I have loved the way they fit. You also don't have to go through the torture of looking at your hiney in a fluorescent lighted 3 way mirror. The horror!
M.C.

Roxanne said...

I'm down with the swimsuit finder. . .my own personal shopper who doesn't have to look at my cellulite. Sounds like a winner. . .

R--

Anonymous said...

When we hiked around in the Colorado mountains last year my long pretty thick hair was a major pest. I ended up getting a cool baseball cap, one of those "Life is Good" and slipped a big chunk of my hair through the back of it, you know that little window, space, whateverrrr. Sometimes I pulled all of through. Plus, kept the sun outta my eyes. Worked for me.

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean to say my long thick hair was "pretty" but when I re-read it, it looks like it... I meant "pretty" as in "annoyingly."

Also, for the record, I think these girly things are actual thoughts :)

Roxanne said...

As an actual OBSERVER of Stephanie's hair, I can assure all who read this that it is, indeed, pretty, thick, and pretty thick. When I knew her long ago, it hovered between her shoulder blades and waist--very long and very black. It's probably a little shorter and a little grayer (like mine is) but still as loverly as she.

Roxanne said...

And I'm with Stephanie and the thought thing. . .if wandering fluidly between thoughts that stretch you as a human and things that just make you more comfortable, then more power to us girls. . .I think it has to do with the fact that an androgen wash did not totally destroy the connection between both halves of our brains when our bodies figured out we had two x's rather than an x and a y. . .I will gladly continue to use both hemispheres of the brain God gave me to ponder the mysteries of the universe, life, and what hair style is becoming as well as cool.

We can continue this tomorrow. . .the weighty and trivial alike. Oh, I CAN'T WAIT. AND I splurged and restocked my James Taylor supply for my road trip. . .YIPPEE!!!!!! (I wore my tapes out driving between Abilene and Houston that one year of the long-distance relationship. . .)

David Scott said...

I need a testosterone shot.

Anonymous said...

"wandering fluidly between thoughts that stretch you as a human and things that just make you more comfortable"

Loving your way with words, Roxanne. That right there could be some part of a song's lyrics.