Wednesday

Front Porch Friends

The fastest way to kill a plant is to say, "Here, Sarah, this is for you."

But my precious husband is an eternal optimist. I think every spring he buys some hanging plants and faithfully waters them. Then his job will take him out of town at some point when the temperature hits 100, and the plants are never the same again. They're in the trash by the end of June.

This year, however, we have company in my hanging plants. LOTS of company, evidently. I took down a plant to water it (must have been REALLY energetic that day -- I generally don't water) and noticed a tiny little nest with 4 tiny little eggs in it. I didn't get a picture of those eggs, but when the kids informed me they had hatched, I had to start a little birdy scrapbook for our new neighbors.















Are they just so ugly they're cute? There were 3 in there last night, and still a little egg at the bottom. When the kids and I were looking at it, they thought all the ruckus was Momma coming home, so we got 3 little open beaks staring at us. All I got was a squirming pile of fluff today -- they looked like furry worms -- so I don't know if the 4th one has hatched or not.

Momma must trust me or something -- I thought if I took the plant down to get a picture she would dive bomb me. But she left me alone and I very kindly put her babies right back where I found them. I guess she knows another mother simply admiring newborns when she sees one.

I will try to keep you posted as they grow up. Sadly, they will fly away all too soon (hope it's before the plant dies or we'll be stuck leaving a dead plant hanging so they'll have a home!) Just like my own little squawking birdies. I wonder if a momma birdy has to listen to baby birds fuss over who is squishing who in the nest.

And in the hanging plant next door to this one. . .

6 comments:

Donna said...

What a sweet thing to share with your kids! We had a mourning dove make a nest in a hanging basket one year. The fun part was that it was in front of a window and we could peek at the nest from inside. The plant didn't make it, but we had a sense of "pride" at knowing a new life had taken wing from that basket.
BTW - linked from Roxanne.

SuperMom said...

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhh...so precious! Mrs. Bird has five little blue eggs in our grill. I can't wait till they hatch!!

Those little birdies are too cute.

janiners said...

that IS precious! cute little baby birdies! how cool is that?

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

Awwww. Aren't they so sweet??

Sandy's Space said...

S,

Came here via Roxanne's blog, please say hi to her for me. The baby birds are adorable. Truly enjoyed reading your blog.

Sandy

Rebecca said...

I think they're cute!