Monday

Mother's Day for Me

I wrote the following yesterday, but it seemed so fluffy compared to the trauma of Momma bird. The thought remains:

When my kids were younger, all I wanted for Mother's Day was to be away from them. A day to be "the old me": who did not know who Barney or Little Bear were (we didn't even have the Wiggles yet), who could finish a meal without anyone (including herself) screaming, who could walk across a room without tripping on a small toy or small person, and could leave the house without 20 minutes of prep work. I do not have that strong desire anymore, and the old me is slowly emerging, having been softened, stretched, and transformed by the Diaper Days.

This Mother's Day I find myself marveling at the precious souls that I have been entrusted with, housed in those beautiful freckled bodies with the smelliest feet on the planet. I feel awed by the privilege of being "Mom" to these two, and overwhelmed by the responsibility of leading them in His way. This Mother's Day, more than anything, I'm so thankful to be a mother.

"I can't think of another career more challenging and satisfying than to pour my energies into the daily task of making order out of chaos, music out of noise, communication out of babble, purposefulness out of purposelessness, pointing chubby little wayward feet gently toward the Path, lighting ignorance with knowledge and confusion with understanding." -- Brenda Sawyer

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again, your thoughts turn mine to the circle of life. When you and your brother were little, we, too, enjoyed time away to ourselves. Now, the time we spend with you is all too precious.

We, too, are in awe of God's gift to us of healthy, intelligent children who now have become Godly spouses and parents. You enrich our lives like nothing else on this planet.

Anonymous said...

I love the way you describe the process, "the old me is slowly emerging, having been softened, stretched, and transformed," and yesterday I found myslef thinking the same thing, how I do enjoy (yes, even look forward to) a day here and there for 'just me' but how it has become easier (?) now that they're older to really take in the awesomeness of these incredible little people that are my children.

Yes, I have transformed, stretched and softened, but man, in the beginning, mothering was a pair of new shoes giving me all kinds of blisters!

Roxanne said...

I quite clearly recall enrobbing Ashley in that beruffled, bedecked, teal concoction and deciding that even IT looked cute because her little body was in it. I also remember trying to tell you I was pregnant with Victoria, but you were so in love with a very new born Riley that I had to repeat myself.

You have been besotted with them for quite awhile. . .and just like that man you married, the love grows.

I wish I knew them better.

R--

LiteratureLover said...

What a beautiful post! I too, cherish these moments.