Sunday

Television De-tox

I grew up on television. Lots and lots of sitcom re-runs. Laverne and Shirley were some of my favorites, along with WKRP in Cincinnati and of course The Brady Bunch. I wish I had watched a lot less television. Friends that I know that didn't watch television growing up always seemed to be more well-rounded individuals than me: playing sports, sewing, reading, etc.

I remember when Troy and I went to purchase our first television (as opposed to the hand-me-down from my family) I was adamant that I didn't want one of those HUMONGOUS televisions in my home. "Something that sucks out your brain cells anyway should not occupy that much of your wall." It was 27"!

My educational background as well as my listening to all of the current news kept me aware of all of the horrors: "Increased television viewing linked to speech delays in children." "Increased television viewing positively linked to childhood obesity." And, there's always the violence and moral decay, of course.

My children have grown up on somewhat limited television viewing and were 6 years old before they knew you couldn't rewind (puh-wind, they called it) every show on television (well, now that we have DVR I guess you can). They had a library of videos they were allowed to watch and would watch one 30-minute video per day before nap time. As they have gotten older, and we have expanded our channels, they are becoming more and more couch potatoes. As the weather gets hotter, the temptation to stay in the cool and sit on the couch is overwhelming.

Starting Monday -- the TV will be off in this house for the week. When I told Troy this idea, he said, "I think that's great." I could tell by his enthusiasm that he wasn't aware that I meant COMPLETELY off -- for him, as well. We're going to start off summer figuring out what we can do other than sit in front of the box that sucks our brain cells out.

I plan on having a "No TV box" that will include playing cards, puzzles, magazines for all ages, and library books. Maybe even a jobs list! :-) Something that will stop the whining!

The sad part is that I realize that I must give up my blog-reading for the week, as well. I will check email, and I will post here, but *sniff* I will not be reading your blog. I had to remove my "Bloglines" logo from my toolbar so that it won't be there, taunting me, that I have new blogs to read. They must wait.

Today I made a list of things I would like to or need to accomplish this summer. Interestingly enough, "read more blogs" and "watch more television" wasn't on the list. So, I won't be commenting on your blog, and I won't catch up on any re-runs I may have missed (I confess I'm recording something for later!) Hopefully in a week I'll be a rested, creative woman!

5 comments:

AbbieCRAZY said...

Does your week end on Friday? Are you reading this? I'm working my way to no TV between the hours of 10 to 4. My hands are sweating....

Roxanne said...

I promise to NOT tempt you with television during our 24 hours of togetherness. :)

R--

Anonymous said...

Our Tv broke last year, some weird color thing going on, so we were tv-less for a about a month (partly because we were trying to decide what kind to replace it with - those flatscreens are soooo cool - and how much money we wanted to spend, but mostly because resisted mightily, nooooo, let's just not get a tv!!) It was the most pleasant time (if you ask me) ever (escept for those incredibly idyllic two weeks we spent in the Rocky Mountain National Park one summer) and we TALKED, we CONVERSED, we READ MORE, we PLAYED OUTSIDE more, we actually weren't arguing as much...

Truth is, I don't watch tv - sometimes speed channeling right before bed, but nothing sticks...

Have a great tv-free week from the idiot box. You must have the Roald Dahl poem printed out and taped on the tv-screen!!

http://oldpoetry.com/opoem/11627

Jessica said...

Good luck! I wish I could do it... I probably could turn off the TV but now blogs... hmmmmm...

I think for now I will just limit it for the kiddos.

Melodee said...

Awwww, okay then. I won't write anything good. ;)