Monday

Why I Go To Church

in conjunction with this thought

Newsflash: I don't go to church to worship God.

Oh, I DO worship God when I go, but if MY church were going to be all about ME and MY best way to worship God, MY church would only have ME in attendance, and I would be outside somewhere talking with and worshipping God. I have had the privilege/ responsibility of being in on some discussion about 'worship planning' recently. I finally told the group: "Not gonna happen -- you will NEVER plan a worship service that is perfect for me, or anyone else for that matter. I don't worship best in 'the pink room' (what I call our horribly outdated auditorium)"

Besides not lovin' the setting for 'corporate worship', I'm generally busy. I have mentioned a time or twelve that I interpret services for the deaf. That means I'm HEARING what is said/sung/prayed, but I can only process it in the part of my brain that translates it into another language, not the part that absorbs it and lets it transform me or reflect praise to our Father. Even when I'm not 'working' by interpreting, I'm 'feeding' signs to the person who is interpreting. (The very funny part about our deaf ministry is that we are positioned in the auditorium where the speakers shoot the sound over us -- the interpreters can't hear a darn thing where we are!) Again, even if being surrounded by hundreds of people were my 'thing' for worship, I'm a little occupied.

But I do GO to church: I'm one of those 'every-time-the-doors-are-open' kind of people. (I'm also one of those 'last-ones-leaving-because-they're-turning-off-the-lights' but that's a whole other post). Even though I am openly professing to not attend church for the number 1 cited reason for attending, I think it is a crucial part of my faith and "Christian walk" (I really dislike that over-used phrase, but work with me here). I'm also teaching that to my children. My children know where we will be 'every time the doors are open', and they know we don't plan events or things that would interfere with our attending.

So... you GO to church, but you don't go to church to worship God??? HUH? Well, yes, it's true. And, I'm sure begs the question, "Then why DO you go to church?" And I will tell you. Tomorrow.

Until then, why do you go to church?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So yours is "horribly outdated"?

Mercy sakes, I don't think I want to know the adjectives you would use for 2101 Forsythe Avenue!

mindy said...

to be a part of the body of Christ, to be a part of a family and community that loves each other and works together to represent Christ in the world...

Donna said...

Amen...for me right now)it's about making sure my kids understand we are going to a building that just happens to house the group of folks called the church. My 3 year old is great about talking about going to the church building for Bible class and worship. We are working on the aspect of worship not being tied to a building or particular place.

Carrie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your favicon looks fabulous!

I completely understand what you mean. I was the director of music at a church for five years and never got to actually worship when I went to church. Now, five years and several churches later, I am finally getting past "working" during worship time!

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to "the rest of the story.." Very good stuff and I agree. I heard of a sign hung over one auditorium, Enter to worship, leave to serve. I guess you wouldn't agree with that huh? Me either. Be back tomorrow!