Thursday

Phone Pic

In college, Julie and I would go to Gardski's Loft on N. 1st. (It no longer exists, sadly -- you could get some excellent fried food there). Gardski's had a baked potato selection (when they actually HAD potatoes -- perhaps why they no longer exist) on their menu. I don't remember what was on it, but Julie always liked the 'Yankee Doodle Spud' -- but refused to say that in ordering. She would dutifully point to it on the menu and say, "I want one of those."


In May when we went to pick up Stickers, I had been driving in the rain all morning when we stopped at a Schlotszky's for lunch. I was tired and busy squaring away the kids and my money and didn't really pay attention when the guy behind me in line said, "Yeah, I want one of those..." but when the over-the-top perky counter clerk replied, "That's one bacon beefy smokecheesy, right???" I just had to laugh. I don't think they're still on the menu. Probably because no one had the courage to order one!

4 comments:

mindy said...

You bring up wonderful memories with Gardski's! We used to go there for Sunday lunch with friends at least every other week when I was a kid. My sister and I always got the open face grilled hot dog....YUM-O!

Bob said...

I wonder where Julie got that reluctance?

There is a perfectly good chicken enchilada dish at Chuy's - and you know how much I love Chuy's - called the Chicka-Chicka Boom-Boom. I ordered it once by pointing to the menu.

Roxanne said...

I remember you talking about Gardski's a lot. . .and of course, my precious memories of Julie include her singular way of delivering certain words. . .AND sound effects.

Rob said...

Yes, but unfortunately, Bob now enjoys ordering the chicka-chicka and doing the little dance that goes with it. We are thinking about sitting in another booth and simply pointing to him when the check comes. Julie must also sit at the other booth when she is making sound effects ... which I must have missed somewhere along the way.