Friday

Fitness Friday: To Join or Not?



Melissa asked last week: "ugh...I'm actually thinking about joining a gym (when a special price rate happens next week), but I'm so intimidated by a real gym. Any advice?"

Uh, yeah!

This is a great question because many of us feel that way. The short answer, like most of fitness and exercise, is: "It really depends on you."

Here's why I choose to pay for a gym:
Options: there are free weights, machines, classes I never intend to take (but still CAN if I ever get a wild hair) and classes I attend regularly. I use my gym for: spin (bike) class (RPM), yoga/pilates-type class (BodyFLOW), a weights class (BodyPUMP). That's it on a regular basis. HOWEVER, I use the treadmill when the weather's bad -- like Tuesday/ Wednesday's monsoon, when I'm feeling really ambitious, I use the weight machines, and there are 'experts' (no, not the guy who wants you to THINK he's an expert, the actual paid position-guy) to help me if I need it. All options!

Classes: I LOVE an exercise class and it isn't because I'm a social person by nature -- I'm really not. I'm classified as an 'introvert' and being around many people is just too much for me. But here's what I love about an exercise class: definite beginning time, definite end time. Exercise done. If I don't go to a class, I can potentially procrastinate until it's too late for me to fit it in. I really enjoy my exercise, but, I'm not COMPLETELY insane, I REALLY love when it's over! A class is a great way to have a set exercise time, or an exercise "appointment", if you will.

Peer pressure: This isn't what you're thinking. Many of you think, "I KNOW! The pressure! Just what I don't want in a gym!" I'm talking about being around a group of people that have the same goals in life as you do, including your health (not at the exclusion of everything else). This study showed that obesity can be "contagious" -- friends tend to pack on weight when their friends (and sometimes long-distance siblings) do (please do not think or report that Sarah is saying there is an obesity virus -- please read the study). We could argue that all day long, but let's imagine the reverse to be true: as you spend time around people committed to 'bettering' (is that a word?) their own health, you will begin to notice little changes you can do to become more healthy. Sure, like anything else, it can lead to 'over-indulging' in exercise/ body focus. All things in moderation, but I consider my gym to be (mostly) positive peer pressure.

As far as intimidation -- I guess I would need to know what, specifically, intimidates you.

Do you assume everyone knows what to do on every machine? They don't, and quality gyms will not only give you an orientation, but have someone on the floor at all times (this is where my gym falls short) who can train and/or answer your questions as you go along. Don't be afraid to ask -- it's like everything else: EVERYONE was a novice at one time.

Are you afraid that everyone in there is a 'hard body' and you will be ultra-frumpy in comparison? Well, news flash, I go to a gym. 'Nuff said. It's a little slice of Americana, with folks of all shapes and sizes with all different goals.

I will say this -- most gyms have different 'personalities' throughout the day. My gym (and I would bet most) goes like this: EARLY a.m. -- say, 5-7 or 8 a.m. -- are working folks trying to squeeze in a workout before the day gets nuts. the 'crowd' is in shape, not afraid to sweat, but probably have had a chocolate chip cookie in the last month. There are a few 'hard core', but not the typical gym-goer at this hour. Regular morning hours -- about 8-10 a.m., are mostly moms, a few retirees, and other folks who want to get in a workout and go on with their day. Again -- most are folks committed to exercise, but have a life, as well. The rest of the day -- I can't speak to very much, because those are my hours. But when I've had a chance to go later than 10 a.m. -- lunch hour can get crowded, still with working folks just trying to fight the bulge, but during the school and work day you could have the run of the gym.

After school and work, the show goes on. My gym can get ULTRA crowded at this time: every cardio machine, every spot in a class, all used! Still working people, seem to be LOUD and whacky (de-stressing after the day, I guess). This is also where you will find folks that can spend all day working, then all evening in a gym, i.e., the gym IS their life, social and otherwise. And, as Hess told Judy at one point, "Don't worry about them: they're too busy looking at themselves to notice you." And that is the absolute truth.

Any gym will have a trial period for you. Check it out. See what you like and don't like about it. If you will make it worth your money, absolutely sign up. It's cheaper than therapy, and it's a quality investment in your health!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am almost at the point of rejoining a gym. Thanks for the spur!

AbbieCRAZY said...

A gym. They aren't that bad, right?