Tuesday

What Do You Think?

Wow -- all corners of the internet came out for my post yesterday about worship.

And in the comments, Denise asked a question:

"But what about all those other people? The folks that stay stuck on the pew thinking about anything except the LORD? Lunch, laundry, how mad their neighbor made them, etc.What is our (those on worship committees and/or on praise teams) responibility to them?"

(Clarification: I BELIEVE that by "those on worship committees and/or on praise teams" Denise is referring to folks who have a direct impact in how the worship service will go: the folks who plan/ sing/ speak/ lead, etc. Denise, correct me if I'm wrong).

My email reply to her:

None whatsoever. I can interpret my heart out: my act of worship/ service to God, but I can't make (our congregation's one deaf gentleman) stay in service, put down the bulletin or even quit poking my own children. I can only do all "as working for God, not man" (Colossians 3:23) and the rest is up to (deaf gentleman). My responsibility is to God.

What do you think? About any of it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do think those responsible for planning the "gathering" (I hate "worship service") should structure it so that it is interactive, relevant and engaging. I also think we all have a responsibility to challenge each other (in our small groups or in other fellowship times or just in chat after the service over morning tea or on the way out) about our involvement in the formal meetings. A comment like "hey, you didnt look too enthused about the service today - is something up?" might well be the catalyst to find out why. We all need to be encouraging each other.

Anonymous said...

I agree that our responsibility is to God first. However, I also believe that those charged with putting together the "worship service" (lighten up, Sydney) and making it happen should strive to make it meaningful, engaging, and spirit-led.
We can't force the pew warmers to pay attention, but we sure have a mission to put together a worship experience that first of all, glorifies God, and then engages the body to raise their voices and hands in praise to God.

AbbieCRAZY said...

Here I am slow to respond.....

Firstly, yes, I was talking about the people who go to meetings, rehearsals, create video, think all that stuff up....

I believe we (as those people) have a responibility to create an "atmosphere" that lends itself to worship. What ever that looks like in different fellowships. I also believe that if we choose to do nothing - nothing is what we get.

I love that sydney wants us to see each other after and reach out to them.....

Isn't that community?