Wednesday

Book Review

One time I asked Judy Thomas, whose literary opinions (and lots of other opinions) I respect greatly, if she could recommend any good Christian fiction for a young reader. Her response was wonderful, "Not really. Most Christian fiction is just so bad." As I thought on it, she was absolutely right. I tried to muddle through a few books, but they were awful. Which is why, when someone encouraged me to read Jan Karon's 'Mitford series', I couldn't imagine it would be any better. Oh, mercy, was I wrong.

If you haven't read ANY of Jan Karon's Mitford books, well, first you need to repent of your ways. Then, you need to get thee to nearest library or bookstore and pick up At Home in Mitford. You will fall in love with the whacky, irritating, and loveable folks in town -- just like your own! Just wonderful writing -- so accurately depicting human nature.


I tore threw all of those books a few summers ago -- and love them so much. So, this summer, when a new book came out, I had to read it!
"Home to Holly Springs" goes a little different direction than the Mitford series: it's about Father Tim, now retired, returning to his hometown of Holly Springs. As he does, we see flashbacks of memories that shaped him and forever impressed him. There is also a fairly big bombshell in the book. As always, excellent writing, characters like people you know: maddening and tender and all in between. Big thumbs up.
One of my favorite parts of the book is toward the end. It goes along with a discussion I have had with my Coffee Group gals (maybe I've even written about it here). You know, people talk about "forgiving and forgetting" as if that is a holy order. Here's the deal: Jesus tells us again and again to FORGIVE, but never once mentions forgetting the sin/ hurt. Because he knows it isn't possible. Pain leaves a scar. I believe that the "70 times 7" that Jesus refers to can mean the 490 times you will have to forgive the SAME sin -- because it may hurt at least that many times.
There's a beautiful dialog in the book that refers to just that concept:

"I'd like you to know," he told Henry, "that I've forgiven him. Again and
again. Once done, of course, back comes the Enemy to persecute and prosecute,
and I must ante up to God and forgive yet again."

"There may be circumstances in this life," said Henry, "that God uses
to keep bringing us back to Him, looking for His grace."
You will not regret reading this book. It is a wonderful vacation for the soul.

9 comments:

Roxanne said...

Gotta agree about Home to Holly Springs. . .it was GREAT--though painful in spots.

Tammy M. said...

Thanks Sarah,
I am repentant in my comment as I have not read any of the Mitford Series. I can't wait to get started!
The first time I had really taken note of the series is when Lauren Winner referred to it in one of her books as a series of books that helped shape her Christianity. Logging onto Amazon now.

Roxanne said...

Oh, Tammy, you are in for a TREAT. . .especially now that all of them are written so you can inhale them one after the other without having to wait.

Susan said...

I was hesitant to read the Mitford series books, too, but truly loved every one of them.

I agree that there aren't that many good Christian fiction books out there, but I do love the writings of Francine Rivers. She's got a gift.

Debbie said...

I absolutely LOVE the Jan Karon series! I got behind reading when her last book of the series came out a while back. So, I decided to start from the beginning and re-read them. Hmmm....I haven't gotten very far. But, you are so right. They are worthy of time to sit and enjoy the lives of those in Mitford and the wisdom of Father Tim.

mindy said...

Sarah! I just had so much fun reading your last two months of blog posts:) Thanks for all of the "good things out there!" I'm looking forward to the new things on my list of feeds! Glad to see fitness friday is back. Congrats on the baptisms of your kids!!! Glad to know I'm not the only one who can't fold sheets:) My mom makes it look so easy...I think I"m going to have to start stuffing them in the pillow case! You also made me want to blow the dust off of the shack and same kind of different as me! hope you're doing well and not missing us too much:) ps...i saw our red headed freckle faced friend and thought about your turtle book!

Jana said...

If you like the Mitford folk, you must read Phillip Gulley's books--even better. Of course, I'm in my office right now, and I can't think of a single title. The ol' brain ain't what she used to be!

Go find Gulley today. You will love the books.

Jana A.

AbbieCRAZY said...

I skipped over the part where you wrote anything in the book. I haven't spent money for it yet.... I LOVE all these books and I want to be friends w/Father Tim and Cynthia

Connie Chrane said...

Kelsey enjoyed Janette Oke when she was younger and so did I! Have you tried any of her books? I, too, am a fan of Francine Rivers. One of our favorite elders wife told me about The Mark of the Lion Series. She told me it might take 100 pages or so before I like the first one, and she was right! But after that, I couldn't put them down. Kelsey is reading them now, too, but I don't know if she would have liked it in Jr. High. I think I may have to try the Mitford series again. I didn't finish all of them, so I may start again on them, too..... I'll let you know how it goes!