Friday

Fitness Friday: Workouts

It is hot. It is approximately the same temperature as the surface of the sun-type hot. Amazingly hot. And besides that? It's just so hot!

Now, don't you feel like jumping up and doing a workout? No, me either. I want to be floating in a pool, or lying under a fan eating an ice cream sandwich. I sweat walking to get the newspaper, I don't want to sweat any more! Reality is, though, that for our hearts, bodies, and minds (y'all don't EVEN want to be around me on day 3 without a workout!) we really must be doing a little bit of moving. Truly, though, depending on where you live, it can currently be dangerously hot outside. So what's a healthy body to do?

Let's think of some alternatives to your basic, outdoor sweat-fest walking or running that you might think of as exercise. Obviously, this won't be a comprehensive list. Please leave a comment and tell me your favorite hot-weather exercise to do.


Workout videos: your library may have a fairly large selection for you to check out for free. If you're willing to invest, Collage Video is my all-time favorite place to go for exercise videos.


Swimming: the perfect exercise for a sweltering hot day! Swimming is EXCELLENT exercise as it puts no pressure on joints. However, studies have shown that your body resists losing its 'insulation' when it is consistently in cool water, so it isn't a great exercise if weight loss is your goal. If simply moving is your goal, swimming is a fabulous whole-body workout.


My book! I've mentioned that I'm doing this book:

It is a wonderful cardio AND strength-training workout, it can ACTUALLY be done in 30 minutes, and my heart-rate monitor tells me it's a good workout. I love it. That is all (I THINK our library has it -- I know we have his other book, which is also good, but the workout isn't as fast).

Mall walking: I don't really mean strolling in the afternoon (ice cream in hand) to do some window shopping. I mean getting there in the morning (our mall opens at 7, I think, before the stores) and doing an actual power-walk. Let me be perfectly clear on this: I LOATHE mall walking with a flaming passion of a thousand white-hot suns, and our mall has some awful ODOR in one corner (memo to mall management: unless you plan to steam-clean EVERY. NIGHT. there is no reason on the planet for a mall to have carpeting). However, I have been known to mall walk in a pinch. You can also brainstorm for any other sprawling buildings you may have access to: a coliseum, a church building, a school building. Even without air-conditioning, being in the shade of indoors would be better than the heat of outside.

There are so many others: exercise equipment such as treadmills, stationary bikes, etc. Megan is doing kick-boxing at LA Fitness, Katie got a Wii Fit, you could try Curves, a gym, an indoor sport you enjoy. Just get moving.

Because what is my mantra? "Anything is better than nothing." HOWEVER -- if you are already moving a bit, it's time to shake things up. This next week, up your exercise, either by intensity or time, by 10% in one of your workouts. Push yourself -- you may be amazed at what you are capable of doing. Don't get in a rut, and get moving!

Until next Friday, be fit!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

John does the crossfit workouts everyday. He's all, You Can Too! And I'm all, heeehhahehhahhhiooohha!

We rode our bikes the other day - a nice hour ride after dinner. When it's hot, the 'breeze' from riding is a nice relief.

Anonymous said...

http://www.crossfit.com/

Unknown said...

Bicycles or cycling machines are also good idea.Exercise and diet is just the beginning of reaching peak performance. Equipment selection plays a crucial part in reaching top results. For example, if you are working to build mass and only using heavy weights and adding even more weights to overload a muscle, you can cause injury. You can get more information about Fitness Equipment which I browsed on internet can fetch you help.

Sarah said...

Thanks for your tip, 'fitness', but we're pretty much about healthy level of fun around here at Fitness Friday -- 'peak performance' isn't exactly a goal.