Wednesday

Book Review

Recently read two books. Loved one, made it through the other. First, LOVED:

From Publisher's Weekly: "Based on the real-life exploits of the author's great-grandmother, this fictionalized diary vividly details one woman's struggles with life and love in frontier Arizona at the end of the last century.(1800's --S.S.)" As I've mentioned, I LOVE to hear people's stories. Even though this was fictionalized, it was still a fascinating look at life in the late 1800's. We think of the conveniences, but she also talked about 'social hierarchy' (for lack of a better phrase): men, women, soldiers, indians, ranchers, Mexicans, etc. all had their place in society and would do well to remember their place. Very interesting, I highly recommend it.

And not-so-much loved:


In short, this author is SO a Janet Evanovich wanna-be, with less fun writing, and FAR more explicit s*xual language. Thumbs down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I borrow the pioneer book-I love that kind of stuff. I promise to try not to drop it in the tub (I actually did this not once, but twice with a friend's book-I DID replace it, though)