Wednesday

Book Review: Twelve Mighty Orphans


I mentioned this book being mentioned from the pulpit one Sunday. "More with fewer" is what it reminded us of.
From the Publisher's Weekly Review at amazon.com:
Dent, who told the story of Bear Bryant's brutal preseason training of the 1954 Aggies in The Junction Boys, turns to the incredible story of Rusty Russell and his undersized team of orphans who dominated the gridiron of Texas high school football for the better part of the 1930s. True underdogs, most boys from the Masonic Home never held a real football; they used two socks stuffed together as footballs and, when Russell first took over, used Clabber Girl baking cans during practice. But the lean, scrappy Mighty Mites—as they were later dubbed—achieved an 8-2 record their first season of play in Class B. A few years later, in 1932, they moved up to Class A, the big leagues of high school football at the time. There, the Mites would face teams that outweighed them by as much as 50 pounds per man and fielded 47 players to their 12, and the orphans would win.
I didn't copy all of the review, because it was less-than-charitable about the writing. I have decided that I LOVE to hear other people's story, and this book is full of stories about people. People facing difficult-to-impossible choices regarding their own children, administrator's doing what they can during the depression to care for the orphans entrusted to them, and children growing up what they considered to be 'normally' in conditions that would make you weep. All-in-all, I give it a thumbs up.
****************************************************
AND... regarding people's story: I have decided that I like to hear other people's story so much, we're going to have a little storytelling over here. I will outline details (that include a suh-weet give-away! or... I'm sure it WILL be when I figure it out...) next Wednesday, August 13. Until then, be thinking about a family story: one that always gets told when the family gathers 'round, or one that has/had a profound impact on the way you were raised or on your beliefs as you grew up. It can be hilarious or tragic, silly or thought-provoking. Any ol' story (Roxanne, have you ever told about Hal being Shazam? Now's the time...) will do. Put your thinking cap on, and I'll let you know how and when to tell it next week.

1 comment:

L8nitedave said...

I would love to share with you some of my stories. I write, very often about how my childhood and my parents lives shape mine today. My parents were real live Mighty Mites. Doug and Opal are my aunt and uncle. Unfortunately, I can't endorse all of the historical accuracy of the book. Some "facts" are downright fabrications. The truth would have been even more inspiring, but I am very pleased people are moved by the history of the Home.