Friday

Thankful Dings

My car is paid for. Troy's truck is paid for. We have become gloriously accustomed to not having a car payment, and are willing to put up with some interesting quirks of the vehicles. The one where my car will start and then die is less amusing than some, but so far it's been fairly harmless.

Last week my car developed a new quirk. Some sort of sensor has been thrown and after you start the car and all of the other dinging, etc., has gone off it will start dinging. Loudly. Five sets of five dings, with about 15 seconds between sets. It originally didn't bother me too much, but started the day before we went to Dallas last week. We have since learned that sometimes after an hour or so the car will burst forth with another 25 dings, grieving that it has been running so long without dinging. Neither Troy nor I really enjoy repetitive loud noises, but Troy really did not enjoy the new quirk of the car. So I decided that it's all in your attitude about the dings. The dings are simply our car reminding us, "I have served you well for many years. Do NOT take me for granted. Just a reminder..."

Troy didn't really appreciate this new outlook, either. I decided that the dings could be my reminder to think of 5 things I'm thankful for. I shared this new philosophy and insight on the way to church Sunday morning, shouting my idea to the kids over the dinging and Troy's yelling at the dinging. I proceeded to list things I was thankful for as the car dinged away.

I have continued to be thankful as my car dings. On my errand day and I had opportunity to be ultra-thankful as I started and stopped the car at least 5 times, giving me no fewer than 25 opportunities to be thankful (and 125 dings in my ear, if you're doing the math). That was the day that I was the bug, though. Finally, later in the evening, REALLY not happy about getting back out of the house, we all piled into the car -- minus Troy, who had other obligations. As the car began dinging, Riley asked, "Mom, what are you thankful for?" I HAD come up with 25 things earlier in the day -- but I was completely out. I wanted to shout, "NOTHING!!! I am not thankful for one darn thing in this day!!!!" Realizing that wouldn't be a very good example, I simply said, "Riley, I've got nothing."

He launches in, "I'm thankful for a warm car!!" Bless his sweet little heart. Next ding was Ashley's turn, "I'm thankful I have Expedition 56 (new group at church for 5th and 6th graders." And away we went, thankful for our wonderful, blessed lives, in our blessing of a quirky vehicle reminding us to be thankful.

We continue to be thankful with our dings. Sometimes Riley is thankful that the dings are almost over -- and that's good enough for me. If my decrepit, quirky car can be the catalyst that leads all of us to walk through life looking at the tiniest of blessings as blessings (when I leave the gym I'm thankful for a healthy body, when I leave the grocery store I am thankful for financial blessings, when I leave work I am thankful the day is over! ;-) then I need to continue my faithful relationship with John, our good and faithful mechanic. I need to keep my dinging car around for a long time.

10 comments:

AbbieCRAZY said...

Ding....I'm thankful Sarah made me laugh out loud.

Ding....I'm thankful I didn't have my eye makeup on yet so it wouldn't all run down my face.

Ding.....I'm thankful I get to see you at lunch (sit by me so we can comment on the models TeeHee)

Ding.....I'm thankful that something's already clean to wear today.

Ding.....I'm thankful that I'm not a model in a fashion show today!

That's 5 - I plan on 1 stop today!

Tammy M. said...

ding....I'm thankful for Sarah
ding...I'm thankful that Sarah's mind works the way it does.
ding...I'm thankful to be sitting across from ya'll at lunch today.
ding....I'm grateful Judy likes us enough to invite us to her table.
ding...I'm thankful that flu shots are done!
ding....I am really thankful for so many other things, keep dingin'

Roxanne said...

"Ding-a-ling"

You COULD be grateful that Riley is a big boy now so you don't have add his baby screaming to your dinging. . .and I love that he is sometimes grateful that the dinging is almost over. What a funny little man he is!

I just cracked up thinking of you spouting gratefulness while the dinging ran amok.

Did you get your smallish package?

Anonymous said...

Ding......I'm thankful for Sarah and her quick wit.

Ding.....I'm thankful for lunch today.

Ding.....I'm thankful for nine christian women that could share that lunch with me today.

Ding....I'm thankful for the bond we share through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Ding.....I'm thankful that I am home and have my shoes off.

Ginger said...

Ding...I'm thankful I came back and read this entry when I had more time!

Ding...I'm thankful I found Sarah's blog.

Ding...I'm thankful I don't have a dingy car, although I KNOW I need one!

Ding...I'm thankful to have a good breakfast in my tummy.

Ding...I'm thankful to be going home from tomorrow from this trip to Florida.

Ding...I'm thankful for other articulate joyful-woman writers to read...like you!

Anonymous said...

Ding . . .I'm thankful for you, Troy, and your kids
Ding . . .I'm thankful for Kevin, Verena, and their kids
Ding . . .I'm thankful for my sensational wife
Ding . . .I'm thankful the youth rally was a HUGE success this weekend
Ding . . .I'm thankful my health is better than it's been in years

LiteratureLover said...

Laughing. Still laughing. What a cute idea!

Ashleigh Baker said...

I think I shall remember this on days when I'm the bug and go for a drive.

You see, our car dings also. Except in our little green car, the dings come in random intervals during the drive with a random number of dings per set. We usually laugh or smile the first time or two, but by the end of the trip, I think we could use a little bit of thankfulness. :)

Anonymous said...

I CAN.NOT believe you came to Dallas and didn't come by to see me! Whell!

SuperMom said...

Wow. I hereby relinquish my title of Supermom.

You are one Pollyanna-esque mama.