Wednesday

Say Again?

  • Commercial on the radio right now:

"There are only two ways to get out of debt: Someone dies and leaves you a lot of money, or you earn more."

I guess that whole "spend-less-than-you-make" plan is just an illusion.

  • Ad for a new movie:

"Telling the true story of Christmas. The Nativity. Rated PG."

The true story of Christmas needs parental guidance?

  • Speaker explaining his success:

"I had faith in God, and, more importantly, God had faith in me."

Really? Faith? Hebrews tells me, "the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." Doesn't God see it all? Is there need for Him to have faith? This one really makes me curious. I think I understand the sentiment behind what he was saying, but it seems to be a malapropism.

7 comments:

Ashleigh Baker said...

I'm not sure whether to laugh at these or be sad... :-/

Anonymous said...

Regarding the Nativity movie, I see on the news today that the 16-year old actress who played Mary in the movie is now pregnant! Of course, the secular press is having fun with the fact that her boyfriend is a carpenter.
Maybe that sorta explains the PG.

Roxanne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Roxanne said...

When you misspell one of the two words in your comment, it's time to start over. . .long day. . .my comment does not even mean much on this subject. I think I need to go and read a good book.

And (my misspelled comment was)

GREAT GOOGLEY-MOOGLEY

Cary said...

Hmm... a malapropism would actually be the incorrect use of a word in place of one that usually sounds or looks similar to the correct one (e.g. "I resemble that remark!"). I'm thinking that you just mean he used a wrong idea all together.

//only because you are a word nazi

Roxanne said...

I like Tammy's definition better. . .but she IS a word Nazi, Cary. . .and I, even with my bomb-diggity vocabulary to not know the definition of malapropism, but I might just have to look it up. . .tomorrow.

AbbieCRAZY said...

My only question is "How long as Sarah been waiting to use the word, "malapropism?"