Saturday

Miscellaneous Ramblings

I have had this empty box-of-Blog-post pulled up since Thanksgiving evening, I think. I have LOTS to say, just don't want to stop here long enough to say it. I do, indeed, love BooMama pointing out that she doesn't "want to be so busy writing about her life that she forgets to live it." Indeed. A danger in blog-land, no doubt.

I missed posting a list of all the things I'm thankful for -- I certainly mentioned a few when discussing my "dingy car"! Here, in no certain order, are things I had opportunity to be thankful for this week:
  • Even though it was 3:45 on the day before Thanksgiving when I realized that my kitchen sink was beyond Drano's help, the plumbers were still able to come unclog my kitchen sink during regular business hours.
  • My sweet knight-in-shining-armor husband was home to encourage me to call the plumbers so that neither of us had to live with a gross kitchen sink for 48 hours.
  • A stress-free Thanksgiving! It was so glorious and wonderful and we ate too much and had a great time.
  • Friends that welcome me into their home -- actually, their in-law's home! -- for even MORE Thanksgiving food!
  • Family that will drive to see us and stuff themselves with us!
  • Lowe's had a replacement microwave for me in stock when mine died an unexpected and relatively violent death the day after Thanksgiving.
  • I have a fabulous job that is even more fabulous now that I have been away from it for 10 days -- and still get paid the same!!!!!!! -- that allows my savings account to have room in it to call the plumber AND buy a new microwave within 48 hours.
  • Again, my precious husband was here reminding me that in the overall scheme of things, a stopped up sink and busted microwave are pretty small potatoes. But stone cold potatoes. Because we have no microwave. (It's over-the-range -- and I'm waiting on someone to install it. Please no comments. I know that between the 2 college degrees in this house we could figure out how to do it -- but we don't want to. It's MUCH more fun to just gripe about how long it's taking for the installer-guy to get here.)
So, even amidst and amongst the irritations, we had some good times. We even have all of the "holiday lighting" up that we're going to put up -- I'm pretending that my neighbors think it's really cute and whimsical the way they turn all different directions instead of being a straight-line of holiday cheer.

So, I think I've mentioned that the microwave is out? In MY terms, that means no:
  • microwave popcorn (the saddest, by far, of all of the losses -- I really may have to go to a movie theater and buy myself some already popped!)
  • Lean Cuisines
  • microwave nachos
  • last-minute defrost.
Attention: Sunday night dinner at the Stirman house has been officially canceled until further notice. Sunday night is the cook's night off and the above list is generally dinner around here. Maybe we'll spring for a Little Caesar's $5 Hot 'n Ready!

3 comments:

Roxanne said...

I MUST, MUST, MUST hear the violent death of the microwave story. . .I think you have left out an entire chapter of your blog.

Troy M. Stirman said...

In defense of self, I must admit that when it comes to electrical challenges I fit more in the "Niles Chrane" category and don't feel a bit guilty paying someone else to come into my home and perform a simple task without burning themselves - or the house down. 'Nuff said...

-Troy

Jeff said...

I noticed that the Microwave was mentioned at at least three times and the knight in a camo uniform (or did you say shining armour?)only got in the press twice...humm, I'm not saying this means anything, but I'm sure that a guy who can take apart a Civil War rifle half asleep, with a finger nail clippers, and no duck tape - can surely screw in a lame microwave. Mrs Thankful, have you tried a little female encouragement? (I find it goes a long way in life.)
I "L" you Stirmans... Thank you.