Wednesday

Here's the Deal

If you know me just a little bit, you know that I am not exactly a cell-phone afficionado. My family knows that if they ever do actually call it, the chances that I have it both a)with me and b) set where I can hear it ring are slim-to-none. I want it when I want it, but I don't need another instrument to answer others' demands of me -- email and home phone seem to work just fine, thankyouverymuch!

At any rate, I marvel at the people who live constantly with a phone stuck out of their head. Or the people who have paid for the clip for their ear so that the thing can actually be stuck to their head. Amazing.

Earlier this week I drove the kids to school on one of my days off -- I couldn't believe how many women were driving around at 8 in the morning on their cell phone. Then I went to the gym. No fewer than 3 women sitting in the parking lot on their cell phone.

So I begin to scroll through my mental rolodex of people I know that would enjoy talking to me at 8 in the morning. If the kids forget their lunch or an important paper, they may enjoy a brief little visit with me at 8 in the morning, but other than that, I come up completely empty of who may want to visit with me at 8 in the morning!

The 21st century is obviously not my century.

4 comments:

AbbieCRAZY said...

Is everybody that afraid of their own thoughts? I'm amazed that so many people shop while talking - What, you can't decide which bread to buy?

Anonymous said...

Now Denise, I wouldn't dream of going to the grocery store without my phone so as to be able to call my beloved for clarification on exactly what she means for me to buy. And many's the time I've called her 3 or more times during the same visit to the sooper-dooper store.
As for me, Sarah, my phone is a very important tool for my ability to make a living. When you see me with it in my ear, (unless I'm in the spice aisle) it's because it has to be there - not because I enjoy it.

Roxanne said...

Well, for clarification, I think there are several people who would enjoy visiting with you at 8:00 in the morning--though (from what I remember) you would probably not enjoy a visit with them seeing as how mornin's ain't yer thing.

I, for one, would love to chat with you or any of several friends who happened to call my home or cell phone at 8:00 in the morning. . .just 'cause I like you and them a whole stinkin' lot.

I am not on my cell phone often--but there are times on the way home when I haven't been able to leave school until after 4:30. . .and I'm i.n.c.h.i.n.g along on FM 1960. . .and it takes me 35 minutes to travel the 8 miles to my house. . .and I will go CRAZY if I have to sit through one more light change that I will call a friend to chat. I'm not going anywhere fast. . .so I might as well enjoy the peace and solitude of no child demanding my attention while I catch up with a friend--or just let someone know I'm thinking about them.

ANd some people DO use the phone as an added appendage. . .I TOTALLY agree with that. And if you make me unable to get through the light change 'cause you're on your cell, well I will think things unmentionable. . .

Sarah said...

Roxanne is probably right -- it isn't so much that other people don't want to talk to me at 8 a.m., but I couldn't think of anyone that I wanted to talk to at 8 a.m.