Thursday

Sometimes You're the Windshield; Sometimes You're the Bug

Remember that song by Mary Chapin Carpenter? I've been thinking about it a lot lately -- just making an observation on the ups and downs we all go through. Why is it that somedays you can fight back and believe in who you are and what you can accomplish, and other days you just feel run over by it all and believe that you and the world in general would just be better off if you stayed in bed.

For me it doesn't seem to go away on a given day, either. If I wake up on top of the world, nothing deters me or knocks me down that day. If I wake up with the world on top of ME, then I don't ever seem to be able to make it back to the top. Why is that? Granted, I have reached a certain age and stage of life where I openly admit, "I'm GROUCHY today. I will try not to grouch at you but I suggest you get out of my way!" I don't mind admitting when I can't even try to be patient and/or nice!

Maybe I need one of these:


Okay, if not one of those, how 'bout one of these:


I leave you with a Riley-joke for the day, that seems somewhat fitting considering the topic:

What do you get when you cross a Hummer and a Volkswagen?




A HUMBUG!

Maybe tomorrow I'll wake up and be the windshield!

7 comments:

Roxanne said...

I am not sure that either one of those things will improve your grouchy disposition. . .how about just looking at PICTURES of those things. . .'cause the pictures made me smile. But Riley's joke was good too--and he's not nearly as high maintenance as a newborn or as prickly as a hedgehog. :) (I'm sure there will be a retort to the last observation. . .)

AbbieCRAZY said...

I can't say that that sweet baby wouldn't be fun for YOU to have but it will probably make you grouchier. I'm just thinking....

Tammy M. said...

Say no to Grouchiness!!! Life is too short, to grouch it away.

Anne said...

Levi (the cutie in the pic for those who didn't recognize him!) can definitely take those grouchies away! You can't have him, but I am happy to loan him to you any time for some good Levi-snuggles! They work MAGIC!

Anonymous said...

Take it from a veteran grouch, it's okay if you get up on the wrong side of the bed, but leave old grouchy sleeping. (S)He will be up soon enough. ;-)

Jessica said...

We had a hedgehog... wonder what happened to that thing? I'd vote for one of those over a baby anyday of the week. My friend has 6mth old twins if you need a baby to hold!

Ashleigh Baker said...

Ha. Yeah. Just... yeah.

::grin::