Thursday

Victory In Jesus

I confess that a phrase I hear occasionally "God gave me a word" makes me a bit uncomfortable. I don't know why. Perhaps it just suggests an intimacy/ connection that I frequently feel I'm missing. But I have no other way to explain the scripture that has caught my attention this week. I told you that on Tuesday I realized the only thing missing from my wonderful life was joy. Wednesday morning I read a verse I'm sure I've read dozens of times before, but it is so precious to me:

But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. 2 Corinthians 2:14

Okay, we are being led in "triumphal procession". Sarah's paraphrase is: God is leading us in a parade!! ALWAYS it says!! We're always in a God-led-parade. Can you even imagine? The funny thing is that I shared this with several friends last night. One friend evidently envisioned me like this:

While I was picturing something more like this for myself:

At any rate, how can you not be joyful if you are in "triumphal procession" that is being led by God? What are we missing? And while we're in triumphal procession, God spreads the "fragrance of the knowledge of Him" through us. Do you have the fragrance of the knowledge of Him? What does it smell like to truly know God? Well, the next two verses in 2 Corinthians 2 tell us it depends on who you are:

For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life.

So, while Victory In Jesus truly parallels this verse, I may also be singing "I Love a Parade"!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those pageant queens need a HUGE mum with lots of dangleys to REALLY be in a parade. . .

R--