Saturday

Dreams

I've always had very strange, vivid dreams, so I'm always really interested in what they mean and how to interpret dreams. One "theme" I remember is that when the kids were really small -- everyone in diapers, or around there -- I used to have a dream that I would be in some common place: movie theater, church, the mall, etc. It would be exactly like it should be -- except there was water up to my chest. And, in my dream, that wasn't a problem. I would tread my way to my pew in church or to my seat at the movies, or to the store in the mall where I wanted to shop. It wasn't getting any deeper, so there was no threat. It just slowed everything down. I think in one or two of those dreams, the kids were with me, so I would put them on my shoulders or head. Again, acting as if this was perfectly normal. I must have felt like going anywhere or doing anything took forever --as if you were walking through water!

Troy was out of town one night this week and, as usual, I didn't sleep well. At one point, I just KNEW that someone was in my room (I think the dog wandered in there) and I was trying with all my might to wake up (and do what, I don't know). I could NOT make my body move, so I tried screaming (very clever, Sarah -- when you're paralyzed in your bed with a stranger in your room, be sure and let him know you're awake and helpless); nothing came out. Then the dream continued that one of the kids came out of their bedroom and needed my help and I still couldn't move. It was awful! Later I dreamed that I was on some kind of parade float, or maybe hay ride-type thing. Troy was there, too, and a few other people that I couldn't identify, but I was sitting next to Kendra. I guess we were having some sort of sing-along, and Kendra just burst into song. (this is one of the strangest parts of this dream -- I do NOT picture Kendra bursting into song.) It was a song that I realized I had heard before, and knew some of the words, but couldn't sing all of it. Somewhere in my dream, I thought, "This is that song!" I had read the lyrics to a song the day before and thought: "That sounds like a good song, but I don't know it." So, somewhere my sub-counscious dredged up that, yes, I do know that song, and had Kendra sing it in my dream! Crazy.

Troy wants to sell me to the circus. I'm really weird, I know.

9 comments:

Tammy M. said...

You have very interesting dreams, the other dream I remember you telling us about was something about being chased by a burrito with legs (could that have to do with staying away from carbs?)

Roxanne said...

YEs--dream analysis it is. . .my REALLY recurring dream is of being either naked or late or both to school. . .I realize as I arrive at work that I'm not wearing a bra--better yet--I'm not wearing any clothing whatsoever. The worst dream ever was that Victoria had died. It was so horrific that I made myself (in my sleep of course) dream the same dream over from beginning to end four different times--I guess I was hoping the outcome would change. Finally, in my dream, I said, "No!" really loudly--I guess to stop the madness--and woke myself AND Tony up. ANd I IMMEDIATELY went to check on Victoria who was sleeping soundly in her bed.

That was just one of many times that I've talked to myself in my dreams. . .I've had other dreams, both good and bad, where I've reminded myself that it is only a dream--but continued dreaming it.

I am quite sure that the human psyche is a swamp of goodness knows what. How we sort it out is another amazing and elusive process. There was a tv episode one time where the people COULDN'T dream, and all went insane. . .so wierd as your dreams are, they are better than the alternative.

And if you don't like camping--I'm pretty sure the circus is no place for you. :)

Anonymous said...

The coolest thing is that since you shared this on the internet all of us reading it can find comfort in knowing we are not alone in having those "crazy" dreams. And if we were all sold to the circus for our weirdness it would leave the world to be a very boring place! ;)

Anne said...

I have been having lots of vivid dreams myself lately. It is odd how I can even tell you whet people are wearing, how they have their hair fixed, and other random yet specific details. The sub-concious mind is such a powerful force when it comes to my dreams. So many of them, I really don't want to be dreaming, but obviously I am worried about things...I think the circus is calling me too!

Anne said...

By the way, I meant to tell you that your friend in L&D at Hendrick took care of me Monday while I was there to be monitered. She is the sweetest, and she thinks the world of you and your family! I am so glad I got to meet her and get to know her a little. It never hurts to have friends in L&D when you are a high risk pregnancy.

Holly said...

When I was a kid I had a dream over and over that we had a one of those swimming pools they used to have in parks in our living room. (anyone remember those) I had that dream so often, I thought for a long time we really had that pool in the living room when I was younger. I guess I finally grew up enough to relize our house just really wasn't that cool. Now I know no mother would put a pool in the living room.

Anonymous said...

I think the circus would be fun. Would you be the tightrope walker or the trapeze artist?

LiteratureLover said...

Strange dreams, it's good to know we all have them! I laughed pretty hard at your statement "very clever, Sarah -- when you're paralyzed in your bed with a stranger in your room, be sure and let him know you're awake and helpless". I have had those same moments.

I have enjoyed reading through your blog.

Anonymous said...

Here's one for you. I dreamed Bonnie gave birth to a baby gorilla. I helped with the delivery, then left to go find the real mommy gorilla. Sometimes my brain scares me.