Monday

It's a Shoe Thing

Our culture is evidently becoming somewhat Asian-influenced. Or clean-carpet influenced. Or something.

Troy and I work with the college kids at church. Mainly, we hang out with them and they let us. It works. I'm getting used to them wearing their flip-flops in 30* weather. They, in turn, are showing less hiney crack than before (thank goodness!)

Yesterday we went to our Campus Minister's home for a luncheon for the college kids. The stack of purses by the door didn't surprise me. All of the shoes next to the purses did. It was only female shoes -- almost every female there stopped at the door, put down her purse, and kicked off her shoes. I don't get it.

7 comments:

Tammy M. said...

Very interesting! But I would rather see bare feet than hiney crack's.

LiteratureLover said...

Maybe because shoes are so pointy nowadays that it probably hurts their feet so they want to get barefoot as soon as possible. But that is very interesting.

Roxanne said...

I have always been THE FIRST to kick my shoes off in the home of someone with whom I feel comfortable. . .so maybe one of them felt comfortable and the rest said, "Thank goodness."

I love to go barefoot. . .although FlyLady has almost cured me of it--that and very painful bare-toed incidents with the kids--Thad in particular seems to have it in for my toes.

R--

Anne said...

I agree with Tammy...I'd rather it be feet than hineys! I used to love to go barefooted, even outside when I was a kid. Now that we are living in a pier and beam house, the floor is too chilly for barefooted behavior, so I have taken to wearing Nathaniel's houseshoes!

Anonymous said...

Makes sense to me. It's really rather odd not to take off your shoes when you're in a home...

Ruth said...

I can't speak for everyone else, but I can speak for myself. I grew up, as you know, outside the USA.

Back home everybody removes their shoes before or just after entering a home. It drives me crazy whenever I visit a home of somebody I don't know well. I want to take my shoes off. I feel rude leaving them on. In general I am more comfortable barefoot (which explains why I usually take my shoes off during church).

Thankfully I know the Greens well enough to feel fine about kicking off the offensive objects just as soon as I walk in the door.

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

I'm with Stephanie. My kids have been trained to kick off their shoes and throw them in the big wicker basket by the front door as soon as they enter this house. It's a survival mechanism...