Tuesday

My Little Voice

As you can probably tell from most of this blog, I have a tendency to WAY over-analyze any situation. I'm pretty good at sucking the joy out of anything just by thinking it TO DEATH!

Does anyone remember the sitcom "Alice"? Okay, I'm about to confess to you what an absolute TV JUNKIE I was (this is why I limit my kids' TV so much -- my brain is STUFFED with stupid TV trivia). I LOVED "Alice". And, Google has found for me that you can find anything you EVER wanted to know about "Alice" here. I remember that when Diane Ladd joined the cast her character's name was Belle. Belle used to talk about her conversations with herself: "So my little voice said, 'Self' -- that's what my little voice calls me is 'Self' -- . . ." I think it may have actually called her "Lulla-belle" or some other horrific version of "Belle".

I thought of Belle today, because myself had to have a very stern talk to myself!

We've already established that I'm busy -- nutty, crazy busy. So this morning I got everyone to school early so that I could help Riley's class sell Valentine's before school, then I hustled to the gym where I had to cut my work-out short so that I could get to Ladies Class to teach at church. I hurried away from there to make a return and then pick up one grocery item to use for dinner. I scurried home to throw together dinner and Troy was actually here so we ate lunch together. I finally made it in to work! The WHOLE time I was doing all of these things, I'm trying to figure out how to cut short what I'm doing so that I can get to the next thing. As you might imagine, my attitude continued to downward spiral.

This is where the over-analyzation came in. It's also where I proceeded to have a stern conversation with myself:

Whiny self: This is too much! I am doing too much! When can I get a break? Who lives like this. Who can I blame for all of this?
Rational self: Good question: Who can you blame? Who exactly signed you up for all of these things? When are you going to stop doing so much?
Whiny self: Well I signed myself up -- good point. And I don't plan to drop any of it -- you and I have already discussed this! There's nothing that I want to drop, because I enjoy all of those things.

This is where myself got just a little testy with myself. I think she actually yelled:

WELL, THEN ACT LIKE YOU ENJOY THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

Truly a revelation to me.

I sat next to one of my precious Valentine's while listening to precious children ask for expressions of their love to go to their moms, dads, and friends -- and I was only worried about how long it was taking. I visited with a dear friend on the treadmill at the gym -- and was stressed out about not getting all of my weight-lifting in. My precious husband was hoping I could spend 7 minutes eating lunch with him -- and I was only worried about not being at work. I can honestly say that I had no grinch or worry or stress over teaching Ladies Class -- and I truly believe it was because of the confessional prayer I led before I ever started teaching. "Lord, your word is not meant to be rushed through, but savored and treasured." Amen!

So, I had to shake myself by the shoulders earlier today. Yes, this crazy nutty life is the one that I signed up for. It's pretty much exactly the way it should be. And myself has reminded myself that now all that's left is for me to put my happy face on about it!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay. . .just had to laugh at the overstressed, overworked you taking the time to attach a photo of the cast of "Alice", and at the overstressed, overworked me taking the time to peruse it and think the following:

"I don't remember Belle's bouffant being THAT tall."

"Actually, Vera is sort of attractive."

R--

Sarah said...

Again -- let's just get into the minutia of 'Alice' to procrastinate real life, shall we? This is actually a picture of the original cast. The bouffant is Flo. Oh, come on, you know you want to say it. . .

"Mel,. . . kiss my grits!"

Tammy M. said...

Or phonetically.....
"Mayull keeyuss ma gree-yutts"

Anonymous said...

Or, "Wheean donkeees flyyy"

Cathy Messecar said...

Sarah,

OK, here you girls are having fun, and the old fuddy duddy tunes in who is trying to jump "off" the merrg-go-round, too.

Some sobering thoughts: This past week, I read brother Lawrence's book, the practice of the presence of God. This week I will read Practicing the Presence by Joel S. Goldsmith (1958).

OK, don't kill me, but I'll warp Psalm 127 to fit Flo's hiarstyle: "Except the Lord build the 'bouffant,' they labor in vain that build it."

Put any word in its place: Unless the Lord builds the family, schedule, agenda, church, marriage, the sermon, the lesson, the meeting with a stranger...

Too often we are like wireless phones on roam, and out of touch with our base and we're getting charged extra. The extras are frustration, weariness, lack of focus, and lack of joy.

The source of Joy--Jesus: who was set above his companions because God anointed him with the oil of joy (Heb.1:9, quoted from from Psalm 45:6,7). Oops, I need to stop preaching and start practicing (that little sermonette was dying to give birth to more).

I needed a subject to write about this week, I think I just found it. Thanks...Cathy

Anonymous said...

Pardon the bouffantfauxpaus. . .I am more of a M*A*S*H gal myself. . .and Andy Griffith--the black and white ones. (Not a theme song, but I know you will remember Ronnie Huckeba Brandon fondly as I sing,
"Oh, my Barney.
Oh, my Barney.
Had a jail but couldn't lock it.
Had one bullet for his pistol.
Had to keep it in his pocket."

I didn't remember her name being Belle. . .but I didn't remember her real name either. :)

R--