Thursday

Life Lessons

Over the past few weeks, Troy and I have been trying to pick out a new couch and decide how to invest some of our money. I have come to the following conclusion: After 13+ years of marriage, Troy and I agree on virtually nothing.

I'm a fan/proponent of pre-marital counseling. I think that couples should spend time examining their relationship and how to work things out before marriage. However, in the same way that college does little to prepare you for any actual work-place, pre-marital counseling is lacking covering every situation.

I think the following scenario should be included in pre-marital counseling:
  • Couple receives a sum of money and must decide what to do with it: travel? invest? furnishings? Let's settle on furnishings, let's get a couch. Okay, well that's settled!

No, no, no -- not so fast!! NOW:

  • Couple goes to furniture store and with complete honesty each points out which couch they LOVE.
  • He and she now list all the myriad of reasons the other's couch will never cross the threshold of their home.
  • NOW the negotiating comes in: what don't you like about it, what about this one that is a little different.
  • Spend all afternoon visiting every furniture store in town seeing that they all have the same couches and you each still love and hate the same couches.
  • Notice on your driving around town that your car is on it's last leg.
  • Take car to repair shop where repairs cost the exact same amount you were planning on spending on a couch.
  • Be thankful you have the money, and decide you sit in the car a lot more than on any couch anyway.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about taking out that 3rd bench in your car and placing it into your living room? Just kidding.....
We have a couch for you if you want it. For free! The upholstery has some stains on it, but with a throw or cover, it'd be as good as new. Very comfortable, too. 3 seater.
Might be a bit too long for your living room, however. Where do you want to put it? Let me know if I should be sending you a picture of it.

Love, Ve.

Anonymous said...

SARAH, HAVE I TAUGHT YOU NOTHING???NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER TAKE A MAN FURNITURE SHOPPING! You are the queen of the house, you just pick it and let the chips fall where they may. I'm even a little concerned Troy cares that much anyway. By the way, our 3rd seat is just sitting in the garage and you are more than welcome to it untile this matter gets settled. I know how you feel, though, our "check engine soon" light has been on for 3 days--Whatever to that.

Anonymous said...

I am impressed that Troy would even consider purchasing furniture. In our home, it seems that any furniture we have is here for life, MY LIFE, not the life of the furniture!

AbbieCRAZY said...

I must agree with Laura - men don't furniture shop. They may only choose their own recliner and then only with supervision. Did you help choose a gun? You will recall we have no recliner and need a couch but I stand by my previous statement.

Anne said...

I have to say that the greatest idea so far is the third seat from your car...but I will also admit that Nathaniel likes to be involved in the furniture buying decisions as well. And as hard as it may be to believe (Ha-Ha), he is very opinionated. Luckily, we are still using the couches I purchased pre-Nathaniel, and with furniture prices as they are, we will continue to use this furniture for awhile, so I am safe from the shopping trips to furniture stores looking for the couch we can agree on.

Sarah said...

Wow! You just never know which topic will start the fire-storm of comments!

A) Pardon Troy's use of the "Royal We" in his comment-- I love all here and find no need to forgive any of these comments. Laura, if your car vomits it's engine on Buffalo Gap I'll be the first one to pick you up AND buy you Starbucks! :-)

B) If I don't REMEMBER purchasing the shotgun, does it still count that I was there? Maybe I just deferred to shotguns being your area of expertise and let you make that decision while I stood there. Wonder if couches should be considered my area of expertise?

C) Couch conversation all a mute point after the vehicle fiasco. Troy and I DO agree that a functioning vehicle is a good thing! Thankful for it!

Anonymous said...

Troy,

OK, since you pulled out the big guns, so to speak, If I humbly beg and grovel for forgiveness, will you please consider it? If you take Sarah away, I'll never make it. Luke 6:37-38

your friend, laura a.

Anonymous said...

Good/Bad news. . .

your decisions to actually CONSIDER bringing a new couch into your home means the diapers/sippy cups/major pre-school spills in the living room days are done. Hallelujah through tears.

R--