Friday

Fascinating Fitness Fact for Friday

Oprah had Dr. Oz on her show one day this week. As a faithful 4-times-a-year Oprah viewer, I have no idea how reliable Dr. Oz is, but he did have some good things to say. I watched a few minutes of it and they were talking about weight-loss and health. He said that a) the measurement of your waist is a far more critical number than the number that the scale says and b) if you are 50 years old and have a waist measurement of 40 (for females) or 45 (males) you have the same chances of surviving the next 5 years as if you have breast or prostate cancer. That's pretty serious, folks. He said an ideal waist size is half of your height, or smaller. For instance, I'm 63" tall. My ideal waist size is 31.5" or smaller.

Another most interesting fact -- for men, every 35 pounds lost adds one inch to his pen*s. He did say that "levels off" after a while, so don't let your man think that if he loses down to 75 pounds he would be most impressive. But something to consider.

I mention all of this to "advertise" for a regular "Cleft of the Rock" feature in 2007: Fitness Fridays!

6 comments:

SKQBDOO said...

hmmmm.....interesting stuff Sarah! Am I commenting publicly?

Sarah said...

You're out there, girl! For the WORLD WIDE WEB to see your precious rodent-type logo. Leave it to Oprah and Dr. Oz to bring you out of the woodwork! :-)

Lara said...

I can't wait for Fitness Friday! I'm an addict so I don't know if you really should be encouraging me but, Yay!

Anonymous said...

Well, rats! I get up early and read your post and see that I need to lose about an inch in my waist.
But wait, I've got it: I'm going to work real hard on getting two inches taller!
Man, I'm glad I thought of that.

Sarah said...

You know, dad -- good point. That formula may have only been for women. I'll have to watch a clip of that again.

Roxanne said...

I have seen Dad and his waist and doubt he needs to lose many inches anywhere. :)