Tuesday

'Tis the Season ... to be trashy?

You know, I thought Target had us all figured out -- slap a holiday design on an ultra-cheap t-shirt for our kids and we will snatch them up. They have even graduated to adult holiday t-shirts. However, I didn't want one that said "Naughty" or "Vixen" -- so I passed. Hey, cool, Academy has cheap holiday t-shirts. Hmmmm ... should I choose, "Sugar and Spice, Naughty, not Nice", "Santa, Jingle My Bells", or "Santa, I want it ALL"? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Christians are all in an uproar because people are saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" -- is anyone noticing that we are using Christ's birth as a vehicle for advertising our sluttiness? (Yes, I made up that word, and I'm standing by it!)

3 comments:

Roxanne said...

Victoria has TWO ultra cheap Target Christmas shirts. . .one is pink and has three loveley little ornaments on it and says "Feliz Navidad." It was last year's but I always buy them too big so they can be worn over and over. . .This year I got the one with the heart made of pink snowflakes--she can wear it all winter. YEA!!!!! I pass right over the "Princess" version. . .

Poor Thad wanted a Christmas shirt too, but all the boy ones say things like "Naughty until proven nice" or "Back away from my presents, and nobody gets hurt." He just wants one with an elf or a snowman or a tree--and so do I. . .so if it's not "Jingle my bells", then it's trying to make all little boys out to be monsters.

I, for one, have a most precious boy child who is currently interested in planets, dinosaurs, and loop the loop tracks. . .

And I've always liked "Happy Holidays" and am sort of sad that it's been demonized. . .I think of "Happy Holidays" as Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year all rolled into one. And no matter how hard you try, it IS derived from "holy." (Unless of course you can go to Snopes and prove it's not.) :)

Tammy M. said...

The best place I have found in the past for boys xmas is not ultra cheap, Dillards. I found a great Christmas shirt for Jack for a school program, I think it was $14.95, but it was a thicker material, almost sweatshirt, and he loved it.

Anonymous said...

In some way it amuses me to see those Target T's. Not that I would give my own money for one, but in a twisted way those messages are right on - they amplify, in a satirical 1-2-punch manner, the commercial avenue of the holidays.

Personally, I have no problem with Happy Holidays, Seasons' Greetings, Happy Happy, or Merry Merry. It's all good cheer. Why dis a positivively sparkling hello?

PS >> Here's another great yard:
http://flickr.com/photos/slolane/315365813/