Sunday

"This is it! I have found it!"

Take one exhausted, hungry me.

Put me in a room where you promise that soon you will feed me to my heart's content -- as long as it is fried, laden with grease, or fried AND laden with grease. Fill the room to the ceiling with knick-knacks, gee-gaws, clothing and toys. If it isn't breakable, it makes noise. Add enough people to fill every available pathway, walkway, or breathing space. Mix in my own children to run past the breakable items on their way to make noise with the noise-making toys while complaining of how faint they are with their own hunger. Throw in other people's children to make noise with anything that my children aren't making noise with -- the pens with the cymbals on top, the toy accordion, or the "Chicken Dance" squawking chicken.


Welcome to my own personal hell. You may know it as "Cracker Barrel."

8 comments:

Ruth said...

hahahahaha! Yes. I sympathise. I've only eaten there twice in the last year, and it stressed me out sufficiently both times-- and I don't even have any kids.

Roxanne said...

Good food. . .even better if you aren't there with a writhing throng, and good luck to ya on that one. Even at the ones here in Houston they are always, ALWAYS, *A*L*W*A*Y*S* full to every single rocking chair on the front slab--but they do have really cute ornaments at Christmas.

Of course, the last time I ate at one I was merely pregnant with the first child, and she was very happy to be right where she was.

Anonymous said...

Amen! The ONLY time I suffer through that place is if I'm with someone who just has to go there. If there's another restaurant on the planet with slower service, I've never heard of it. The last time I was in one, they took 40 minutes to cook EGGS.

Tammy M. said...

Unfortunately I think that Cracker B. has faster service than IHOP in Abilene. The only place I have gotten a quick sitdown breakfast is the Dixie PIg. But I do love CB's little individual maple syrup bottles, they are so fun.

Holly said...

I LOVE cracker barrell. The kids are entertained while you wait, and can even play checkers away from your table while wait for food. I love their store and food. Where else can you get a waitress named Topaz?

AbbieCRAZY said...

Okay, I love the food at CB. But I can't have it everyday or I'll be sick from all the grease. It's our favorite place when we travel - it helps to get all the running around out and we get books on CD!

That said: Sunday is the WORST time in Abilene to go to the CB! It's crowded and S-L-O-W! I do enjoy the shopping.....

Troy M. Stirman said...

Folks, I've never seen Sarah post a 4- letter word on her blog until now...trust me, she was not a happy camper. As for quick breakfasts in Abilene, here are my top picks:

1) Towne Crier
2) Whataburger
3) Chic-Fil-A

Ashleigh Baker said...

lol! Yep, I can *totally* see how it would be that way! :grin: But I think the reason we love it so much is that we only get to go two or three times a year when we're in Alabama, being that there aren't any out here in California. For us, CB *is* the South, which we love dearly! And it's all about tradition when we're on our trips, so we make our ritual trip to CB and enjoy the loudness, the busy atmosphere, toys and gadgets, and of course, lots of breaded, fried, greasy food. ;)