Monday

Feelin' Crafty

Ashley has been invited to one of the most ... creative birthday parties I have heard of yet. I assume this family is as busy as the rest of us and need to squeeze in a party for their daughter. So, Wednesday morning at 7, Ashley will ride her bike to Megan's house and have a birthday breakfast with her, then the entire party will ride their bikes to school together. That's a new one, but not a bad idea (other than the fact that it requires you to be prepared for LOTS of pre-teen girls at 7 a.m. --- eeek).
And have I mentioned that I have a new job? Oh, several times? Really? Because payroll hasn't seemed to figure it out. See, I've been working for a month, and have almost another month to go (oh, I am SUCH an exaggerater -- it's only another 3 and 1/2 weeks now) before I see a check. Many teachers know this and have been through it -- but it makes for a LEAN first two months of teaching. So when Ashley got an invitation to a birthday party, I threw my brain into creative mode to see what would be a)desirable by an 11-year-old somewhat sporty girl and b) ULTRA CHEAP. They don't mesh, generally. However, I kind of went with the breakfast theme. So, I looked around, had plenty of fabric on hand (Troy can attest to what an embarassing understatement that is) and threw together just about the cutest little pillowcase you have ever seen:

I orginally planned to include a few multi-colored Sharpies so that all of her friends can sign her pillowcase, but it is SO cute, I kind of hate for anyone to WRITE on it (but I already spilled the beans to Ashley, so I think she's counting on it). I used this site for instructions, and the fabric is stuff I bought years ago to make an outfit for Ashley that she wouldn't be caught dead in now. The instructions said to allow an hour, and it took a little less than that. Riley has a party Saturday morning -- do you think a boy would like a more subdued pillowcase -- if all of his buddies sign it? I doubt it, with the fabric I have on hand.

8 comments:

Roxanne said...

Precious INDEED!!!!

Well, I'm not sure about 8 year old boys. . .but my 5 year old boy LOVES, LOVES, LOVES the Superman pillow case I made for him. I have some monster truck fabric too. . .they have all kinds of cool fabrics at Wal-Mart (just pretend yours is the "relaxing" variety of Wal-Mart that you encountered in Round Rock so when you walk into it you don't explode) that you could use as the end part of your fancy, schmancy, and you could use some other "subdued" variety for everyone to sign.

Those are also nice party favors for a sleepover. . .

Ginger said...

What a COOL gift that pillowcase is. Love the colors and the creativity of the idea. Not so sure about the early morning birthday party, but you never know...it might be calmer for happening when everyone's still waking up!

AbbieCRAZY said...

I love this early morning party! Get it over with - and it's bound to be cheap, I mean inexpensive!

Cute, cute pillowcase! You are so crafty!

Tammy M. said...

I love it. You are so crafty! I love the idea for the birthday party.

Anonymous said...

I really am glad you shared that you have fabric from years ago! I have pokemon fabric that won't suit anyone in my family now!

The pillowcase is cute! One of my kids got one as a gift!

Anne said...

I was sewing just last night...making a cover for Natalie's nap-mat! I made up my own pattern and surprisingly it worked out perfect! The fabric is so adorable...turquoise with chocolate polka-dots on the top...chocolate brown on the back. I even decided to get really creative and I made a matching mini-pillowcase to match that fit her little tiny pillow!

Sounds like cheap fun was had by all...I should break out the sewing machine more often:)

Anonymous said...

Crafts are fun...sounds like it would be a fun birthday party!

SuperMom said...

CUTE!!

My MIL makes pillowcases for my kids all the time. They LOVE IT. Every time we change the sheets on their beds they look forward to picking out a new one.

Pillowcases are great gifts!! And I love the party favor idea, roxanne.