Saturday

Book Tag

Quite a while back, Anne tagged me for a crazy book tag: Grab the book closest to you, turn to page 123, skip down 5 lines and post the next 3 sentences. I looked at it while I read that I had been tagged, but I forgot to actually post it!

At the time, the only book in our office/sewing room/ junk depository (why is there a policeman Mr. Potato Head watching me blog?) was my NIV Study Bible. Page 123 got me to Exodus 25, 5 lines down is verse 8, and I love it, love it, love it as my very own promise:

"Then have them make a sanctuary for me and I will dwell among them. Make this tabernacle and all its furnishings exactly like the pattern I will show you. Have them make a chest of acacia wood -- two and a half cubits long, a cubit and a half wide, and a cubit and a half high."

No, I'm not really into cubits OR acacia wood, but I take that to mean that God is promising me that He will be in ANY sanctuary I prepare for Him -- and my promise to Him that it will be my heart.

On a lighter note, now the book Couplehood is still in the junk depository, because it will rot here with the rest of the clutter before I think to put it away. So, I was going to see what was on page 123 of that book, since I am quite certain that would be an interesting contrast to Exodus 25:8.
Then I remembered that Couplehood starts on page 145 --Author's Warning before the first chapter:

You will notice in just a second that this book actually begins on page 145. Don't be alarmed -- this is not a mistake. Don't try to get your money back. You didn't miss anything.

It's just that I know when I'm reading. I love being smack in the middle of the book. Pages behind me, pages ahead of me. It's too overwhelming to know there's so much left and you're only on page 8.

This way, you can read the book for two minutes, and if anybody asks you how far along you are you can say, "I'm on 151 -- and it's really flying. It just sails, baby."

You'll feel like you're accomplishing something, and I get credit for writing a bigger book. Everybody wins, and it costs us nothing.

-- P.R.

Do you see why I LOVE this book and it's author?

2 comments:

Anne said...

Great passage and promise in Exodus...I love that God will dwell in my heart forever!

Regarding your response to my Christmas countdown, I would be happy to help in any way I can as you prepare for the holidays! I especially LOVE shopping with someone else's money, so you just let me know who is on your list and what my budget is, and I am off! :)

Hope you are having a great weekend! Natalie was so happy about her booklet for you and her gum! :)

Anonymous said...

If you turn to page 123 of "Like a Shepherd Lead Us", you find the first page of an essay by Randy Lowry on managing conflict in the church. Going down the requisite number of lines you read an introduction into a church leader asking other church leaders "What keeps you up at night?"

This book is a wonderful compilation of seven essays by and for church leaders, and I heartily recommend it.