Sunday

So Long, Summer

It's 66* and raining. I could cry, I'm that happy. AND I just put gasoline in my car for $2.28/ gallon. Life is SWEET.

Last week it was 103* at 5 p.m. and I have no idea what gas was running -- over $2.50, I think. Things are looking up!

This weekend I will clean out all of the ice-chests that are in the garage and store them in the attic. I have already washed and stored the beach towels and kick boards, and need to find a home for our pool bag. It's time to gather up the final remnants of library books floating in the house and return them. *sigh* So long, summer -- you went too fast (that is almost precisely what Riley said when Shadow went on to his great reward)

The four of us took a super-quick (less than 24-hours) trip to Temple just to get away for a bit and catch up with some friends. This morning in worship I was struck by how many people WEREN'T there -- not due to moves (though there are plenty of faces not there for that reason) but due to death. I saw widows and widowers who had a spouse at their side when I was a member at that church (5 years ago). I also was really struck by the toll that age has taken on all of us -- the older folks who can't get around as well, or who seem a little more lost than they once were, and those of us just battling age as it "marches across our faces". Noticing all of us aging in conjunction with the many that have gone on to heaven just made me think again of how wonderful heaven will be. And the saints that are already there call to mind the "great cloud of witnesses." Those folks are cheering me on! When I picture that, I have renewed strength to run the race with perseverance!!

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:1,2 NIV)

Go outside, dance in the rain, and run the race knowing the great cloud of witnesses is cheering you on!

8 comments:

Roxanne said...

Well. . .something is happening north of here. . .'cause Stephanie said it was 61 in northern Arkansas--is it coming this way???

Gas here is $2.47, so life is good. It was $2.98 for THE LONGEST. I told Tony it makes me want to drive around a lot so I can go and buy some more. :)

I got two nasty letters from the library telling me we had an overdue book. I KNEW I had turned in all the stuff back at the end of June. . .it wasn't here in the house. I needed to go and find it on their shelves.

Guess what we found in the house in Galveston.

AbbieCRAZY said...

I was really hoping for one more day at the pool with our buddies. One more picture of the kids playing together. One more chatfest that included at least one "bless em."

I missed yall yesterday. Did you check with ANYONE before you just got in your car?!

Ruth said...

isn't the weather gorgeous? It fills me up.

Anonymous said...

What!? Gas is under $2.50? I'm going to fill up right now.

Aaah - cool weather. And rain. *Big Smile*

joyfuljourney said...

Our air conditioner has been off for 3 days now! The windows are open and life is good! I'd almost forgotten that it's still officially summer.

We live in a farming community and the rain has been a huge answer to prayer! I love sitting on my front porch, drinking coffee and listening to that beautiful sound of RAIN!!!!

Anonymous said...

We have noticed the gas price decrease...YAY!!!

Melodee said...

That's my favorite verse: Hebrews 12:1,2 . . . okay, two verses.

(I'm catching up on blogs today. Can you tell?)

mad4books said...

What a lovely post...too bad it took me nearly a year to stumble on it! (Followed your June, 2007 post about your MIL and her strawberry dessert, added your Recipe Swap blog to my favorites folder, and somehow ended up here.)