Friday

It's FRIDAY!!!

After this week, I have certainly earned a Friday. AND what a Friday it was!

Let's recap, shall we?
  • Field trip that included taking 20 2nd graders (2 were absent) ON A BUS to the local high school.
  • Field trip caused me to miss my conference time -- the only time in the day that I can potty and think.
  • 2 children were crying before we ever left that their stomach hurt and they were going to throw up.
  • Another child has some sort of bowel condition (you don't want details, I promise) and on occasion must go to the restroom every 47 seconds. Today was one of those occasions.
  • Grabbed (actually stole b/c I forgot to find someone to give my quarter to) a sack of PTA popcorn for my lunch so that I could go buy popsicles for science since I was on a field trip in my conference time. Had less time than usual for lunch b/c I had to go BACK to the classroom (feels like a half-mile!) to get a child who was doing who-knows-what but not coming with us to lunch.
  • Lunch at 3:30.
  • One child finally throwing up -- at least having the courtesy to be in the grass between our classroom and the playground.
  • A phone call from a parent (I have GOT to leave the classroom earlier!)
  • Numerous other excitements associated with teaching 2nd grade.
Don't you wish you could trade places with me?

My day also included The Moment. Returning from lunch, I told the kids they could spend a few moments coloring the paper the counselor left for them during their guidance lesson. As I finished speaking, a thought flashed across S's face. S has been a challenge for me -- she's a jack-in-the-box with no volume control (it's all "outside voice"), only hears directions that are given 7 inches from her face, and never puts her name on any work. But she's a cute doodle-bug and ANY thought or emotion that goes through her mind also goes across her face -- happy, sad, frustrated, or angry, it's all there. So a smile passes her face and her hand SHOOTS in the air. I call on her. "Yes?"
"I love you," was the reply -- ever-so-matter-of-fact.
I was so completely blown away that it wasn't until about an hour later that I realized: SHE RAISED HER HAND, TOO!!! Bless her punkin' heart!

Don't you wish you could trade places with me?

Well, ya' can't! I'm enjoying being me entirely too much! Happy weekend to all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh--that makes that horrible day last week all better. :) Glad that S. is not only a cute doodle bug but smart enough to love you.

Sorry about the puking--glad it was in the grass. Tony had to hold the trashcan from some gal this week, 'cause she had to hold her hair back.

Then money our parent's spent on our private educations. . .

Paula said...

Wow! Sounds like a typical teaching week!

I spent the first two days of my week feeling bad, but teaching. The second two I stayed home sick. I went back today with no voice and no air conditioning, so there was a massive box fan in my room competing with my voice. Needless to say, we had class in the lunchroom most of the day!

After being gone, it was so good to be back. Isn't it strange how we can miss those little stinkers?!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but did you get your frozen pizza last night?