Saturday

Quick Get-Away

It's been a few days and this last week has been SO busy! I am ready for real summer -- bored out of my mind, nothing to do but sit by the pool --to start. I think every summer, though, I remember that doesn't exist any more.

Back in February Roxanne and I started trying to plan a get-away. She lives in Houston, has an (almost) 8 year old and an (almost) 5 year old and teaches 6th grade. It's not easy for either of us to break away from our lives. We originally had a date in May but when I got the baseball schedule we had to change it.

Of course this week was a mess of starting swimming lessons, drowning in work that needs to be wrapped up, having people in my home, trying and failing to secure a babysitter for an event in my absence, getting the kids squared away, and celebrating birthdays with friends. I couldn't even think straight and could barely get on the road.

We met betwixt our two homes in Austin-town. Henceforth dubbed, "The Land of Construction Zones and Orange Cones" OR "The Home of 10,000 Harley Riders (many with dubious fashion choices)". It was an adventure from the very beginning!

We didn't really "do" a lot -- other than eat. I am learning that I can't "travel on my stomach" like so many of us do. One fancy, heavy meal and my gut has had enough. I hung tough and forged ahead through a dinner at Chuy's!

I also expanded my language knowledge -- I think I've mentioned here that I am on a quest to learn Spanish. So, before I left town I went to the library and got some "Learn Spanish in your Car" CD's. I am truly "wowing" my family with my knowledge! :-) (not really -- but I did learn a little):
Quisiera un cuarto con bano y una regadera! y Tienne un cuarto mas barato?
I'm also learning that I will probably need a Spanish speech therapist -- the Spanish language requires nimbleness of the tongue that "southern" evidently doesn't. I'm learning the words wonderfully -- but saying them is another matter!

I came home to a husband who had a horribly frustrating day (not with the kids) and no groceries since SOMETHING had to go before I left town, and screeched into town just in time to see Riley get his trophy for closing ceremonies for baseball. I have loads of work to do to prepare to teach my Sunday school class and be ready for my Beth Moore class tomorrow. Troy asked me, "Well, was it worth it for so few hours with Roxanne?" Still overwhelmed, I said, "Ask me later. But, it's really nice to be with someone you can be 100% yourself with." And it was -- messy buns, house hair, and all.

8 comments:

Roxanne said...

My, my. . .just who are those two very YOUNG fashionistas? I'm sure they fairly wowed all who saw them in their happenin' Austin night-life attire. . . and did you notice their enviable foot wear? And how DID they get such attractive messy buns on their heads rather than on their hind ends? Those are some hot mommas.

Jessica said...

Glad you had a good time! Next time you are taking us with you!

Tammy M. said...

Time away with special friends is always worth every moment of what takes place outside the time together. Life continues and does not stop for us to squeeze special moments in, we must choose special moments and let life continue around that blessing. So glad ya'll had a great time.

AbbieCRAZY said...

Party Girls return home and find too much work. Ain't that the way it goes? Judy would tell us it was worth it and I agree. See you at the pool!

Anonymous said...

Loving the 'messy buns!' and isn't there always some sort of 'price' waiting at home after a girls-only vacation, no matter how brief?

Anne said...

Glad you had a good time!

Roxanne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Roxanne said...

I am helping to coordinate VBS at my church. No, I do not do hallucinogenic drugs that make me think I am Super Woman. . .

As I drove back home from Round Rock, the closer I got to Houston, the more VBS began to weigh on me. . .I even pondered turning around and going back to Round rock to see if the reverse would be true. . .alas, I figured it would not. . .so I got to church today and started going through our t-shirt order only to find that they neglected to give us a box of 76 child medium shirts.

Guess where I am going first thing tomorrow morning. . .unfortunately the shirt people aren't in Round Rock. . .then again, neither is Sarah.