Saturday

Convection, vection, What's Your Function?

Okay, this would probably be more appropriate at the recipe blog, but I seem to have generated a lot of comments lately here and would really appreciate any help and/ or feedback.

I have a convection oven. When I make this pronouncement to people, those who have and appreciate their convection ovens respond exuberantly, "Don't you just LOVE your convection oven?" Well, no -- I don't hate it, either. I just don't use it. All I know is that the convection fan makes a big lump at the back of the oven meaning some of my cookie sheets don't fit in there any more.

Please tell me how/ why to use my convection oven. Keep in mind that currently my oven is most used for frozen pizzas, baked potatoes, and the occasional oven-baked fish or chicken. Most roasts or anything like that I do in the crock-pot.

Can someone give me a great reason to fire up the convection oven?

3 comments:

Curious Servant said...

I haven't much to say about the oven (except it is probably more useful for casseroles than potatoes), but I just wanted to leave a note before surfing onward.

I read through the unarchived posts and thought it only polite to leave a thank you note.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

It's quicker and uses less energy. It also bakes more evenly. I rarely use my regular oven anymore. Love ya!

word verification-Avfcvtem: the receiving party of a crime, as in "He became avfcvtem in the hunting accident".

Roxanne said...

Not a clue. . .if you get good hints, let me know. . .I may need them some day. Ruthann has a convection oven. The only doings I've had with it have been at Thanksgiving when my eyelashes invariably end up stuck together as I lean in too quickly to remove my green bean casserole, and a very hot, very moist wave blasts out of the oven and hits me in the face.

So if you use the convection ability--give the oven a moment to "billow" before leaning forward to remove something from it.

R--