Tuesday

Things You Really Don't Want to Know

This afternoon:

Riley: "Mom, do you know why my hands stink?"

Let's pause right there, shall we? Anyone who has been a mother for 10 minutes knows better than to engage in this discussion. No good can come from this question. A proper mother answer would have been: "I don't want to know, but you had better wash your hands." I was evidently asleep that day in Motherhood 101.

I was pre-occupied, so I fell for it: "No, why?"

Riley: "Because I touched my socks and I've been wearing the same ones for 3 days."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, in several of the photos of Riley at ACU extraveganza day I noticed he was barefoot. Was this the beginning of the stinky sock escapade. . .or merely a pit stop on the way?

Thad doesn't mind being dirty, but wet OR wet and sandy simultaneously, he cannot abide. It's partly a boy thing, Becky.

R--

Tammy M. said...

Why is it with boys you have to remind them to put on clean underwear and socks after they take the shower or bath you make them take? Ofcourse by the time they start trying to impress the girls they are fixing their hair and putting on deodorant, we aren't quite there yet.

Sarah said...

I really fear that the 3 day sock-life did, in fact, include the 5k. Major ewww. But I do have to dispute the fact that this is a "boy thing". I have failed to point out that the next morning, or maybe that same morning, Ashley emerged supposedly ready for school in her Upward jersey. Remember the picture of digging in the mud? Remember the Upward jersey? That has mud on the front and back? I haven't washed those clothes yet because I don't want to get all of that mud on my not-stained clothes. So she evidently dug through the dirty clothes, found the precise mud-covered article of clothing she wanted to wear and was happy. And Ashley does get my vote for "Most Likely to Return from School Wearing Lunch". Maybe it's just my gross family.